Notices

A question about panic attacks & snowblowing/shoveling

Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i'm glad you went to the locasl ER to rule out any cardiac event.

IDK what kind of physical shape you are in, but many unused muscles (except for snow shoveling) doing repetitious physical exertion might be causing your chest tightness too. My friend was shoveling her driveway and had a similar experience....she thought she was having MI too.

CONGRATS! on your continued sobriety....i find my anxiety is so much less the longer i stay sober too.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you got checked out.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

JTel, glad you don't have to worry about your ticker.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
Fact: People die from alcohol withdrawal.

Fact: People die shoveling snow.

So it follows that: People who shovel snow while going through alcohol withdrawal may die.

Fact: I am not a doctor.

Fact: You should see one.
Just to conclude some thoughts here, but FrothyJay is "spot on" when he states the facts above. For anyone considering the notion of quitting drinking, these factors shouldn't be taken lightly. I know, because I've never had an anxiety attack in my life (or whatever the hell they really are) until three weeks ago today - then another on Monday - and both felt life-threatening. I did indeed take these warning signs far too lightly, and I do feel that they nearly cost me my life. I also feel fortunate that I am still fairly fit for a guy in my upper 50s, for I hightly doubt that my heart would've been up to the task last Monday if I hadn't been.

About the anxiety attacks themselves, I'm living proof that alcohol has somehow damaged my central nervous system - hopefully temporarily - and it appears as though no doctor is able to fully diagnose what these really are other than the fact that they're related to alcohol abuse. Funny thing is, I'm typically a very laid-back person, and I've never allowed for stress or any kind of anxiety to interfere with my life. In all of the cardiac tests I've taken this week, there isn't one sign that reveals any notion of having any heart ailments whatsoever. Thank God for this! However, my attacks have been severe enough to raise my heart beat and blood pressure to astronomical levels all while feeling chest pain and extreme light-headedness, and if anyone ever feels such sensations to any degree, it is indeed best to see your doctor.

Again, thank you everyone! I am sincerely happy to have found this site when I needed it, and you've helped me immensely! I really can't express enough how grateful I am to you!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm glad your Drs. actually made the effort to put you through all those tests. Anxiety attacks are pretty overwhelming - it's pretty difficult to talk yourself out of one, but it is possible. The most important thing to remember is that an anxiety attack can't kill you. Your heart will not be damaged by beating fast - it's built to do that every once in a while. Dr. Claire Weekes has written some excellent books on the subject...I wish I'd discovered them sooner!