Notices

Why cant I control myself in social situations

Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Doobles and welcome! I was told if I was not sure if I was an alcoholic to try some controlled drinking. One thing that serperates alcoholics from non alcoholics is the physical craving we expierience once we have the first drink. It's not about how often you drink, but rather what happens to your body once you start. Meaning, that when I drink alcohol I want the 3ed worse than the 2nd. The 5th worse than the 4th. The 10th worse than the 9th. It's an abnormal reaction to alcohol. Another thing that seperates an alcoholic is a very "in control" feeling when drinking. Normal drinkers feel a sense of calmness when having a few drinks. I feel a tremendous amount of "control". When I was drinking, that was the only time I felt in control. That is not a normal response. Alcohol acted as an upper with me. Again, not a normal reaction to alcohol.

I hated hearing this at first, but only you can decide if you're an alcoholic. I struggled with this part for years. The only advice I will give you is if you do decide you are an alcoholic (that part takes some self evaluating and a ton of honesty), look into what that means. Alcoholics' lives either end in hospitals, jails, and eventually death. Sorry to be a bummer, but it's just a fact. When faced with those options, I'll chose recovery. Recovery is what I do to make sure I don't take the first drink. That is really the only control I have over my condition.

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and support - really do appreciate it. Have managed to not have a drink all week and have really not missed it. Weekend challenges ahead but am sure I will be fine.