Notices

Recovering or Recovered...

Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am recovered, but it is an on-going process.

For example, someone may have recovered from a dirty house. It took a lot of work to clean that dirty house, but it got cleaned. However, in order to keep that house clean, it needs some maintenance work. If there is no maintenance work, then that clean house will get dirty again.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wanted to ask the same question. Thanks for the discussion. Interesting.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I consider myself recoverED... but it's not static.
I can be "recoverED" from a gunshot wound but that does not make me bullet-proof!

I consider myself recoverRD because I have recovered the same attitude towards liquor as I had for the first 17 years of my life, before I even knew what the benefits of drinking were.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Antiderivative...I'm not sure if I love or hate your analogy.

Frothyjay....thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

*taking a break to look up the word Nephalist*...not sure if I want to be one or not!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have a very simple way of looking at this. I know this topic is controversial in my AA meetings but to for me, I look at it like this.

Ever night I go to bed sober, I recovered from alcoholism. Every morning I wake up, I have untreated alcoholism - I am in recovery. The days in my review mirror are the days I recovered. The day ahead of me I am recovering from alcoholism.... Make sense?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sometimes I'll use the words...but I don't think either is an accurate description for me.

I am managing my life--before I was not. I don't drink. I do therapy and meds for depression.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wink

recovering here.. 4+ years.. ODAAT!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm curious-- those of you who say you are recovering and are in AA-- how do you feel about the word "recovered" in the AA textbook? It wasn't merely a "tense" thing (ed vs ing)-- Bill Wilson went to great lengths to explain that we recover from our disease. Is this a disconnect for you?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Recovered.

I would say i am a recovering alcoholic because it is a daily reprieve and there is no cure as such, it is a fatal progressive disease therefor i will always have the illness of alcoholism. I don't drink - i am restored to sanity around alcohol providing i am spiritually fit but the 'ism' of the disease is my character derfects which is an ongoing process of healing through step 10.

However you have got me thiking now,,, The BIG BOOK OF AA on the first page clearly says "How many men and woman have recovered from alcoholism" I think we do recover on a daily basis from the insanity and desire to drink.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blackhorse View Post
The BIG BOOK OF AA on the first page clearly says "How many men and woman have recovered from alcoholism"
It actually uses the word 'recovered' about 20 times in the first 164 pages. The word 'recovering' is used once, I think, in the context of someone in the process of the Steps.

The goal of the Steps is clear. Take them and be recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

The biggest reason why I use the word recovered is because that's my experience. I can't adequately describe what that experience is, but the experience of it is undeniable. It 'feels' like recovered. It feels like the description Carl Jung used of that psychic change. It feels like reborn.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."

P. 85 of The AA Textbook
Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Recovered...
Just like in the sense I don't consider myself a "recovering" nicotine addict, I'm a non smoker.
I would never be stupid enough to think I can have just one cigarette and be ok like I could when I was 18. Cigs have been happily deleted from my life..same with alcohol.
"Recovering" to me implies there is some part of yourself that still wants to get hammered.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm going to stand on both sides of the fence here... I'm a recovered alcoholic recovering day by day...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarah78 View Post
Well for me I would definetly say recovering and maybe one day I could say recovered. I believe that will be the moment that I can truly look back on my drinking and all that it entailed (without any pain) and say I learned something from it, something that made me a better person today. I guess I can say because of my experience it made me more in tuned with my HP, family, self, life, so that is some growth already. To be recovered I have to be confident enough to know that I will never repeat it again but really that is a daily process.

I also think it was/is a season in my life and if I am willing enough and stick close to my HP, I will be able to let it remain in the past (for good), but use it as a reminder for the present and future. I am doing that now, but have a long way to go...

Great thread!
Anybody who likes U2's War is OK in my book.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

I prefer to be defined by my actions.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
*taking a break to look up the word Nephalist*...not sure if I want to be one or not!!!
Q: What's cooler than cool?
A: Ice cold?

No, that's from an Outkast song and it's wrong. The correct answer is LaFemme and MC Brown (sometimes I don't know how I would have gotten by without you two, thanks for the laughs and the wisdom)

Sorry for the hijiack, I had to share it because sharing is caring and I'm told that caring is something good. I like good...and ice cream.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
I'm curious-- those of you who say you are recovering and are in AA-- how do you feel about the word "recovered" in the AA textbook? It wasn't merely a "tense" thing (ed vs ing)-- Bill Wilson went to great lengths to explain that we recover from our disease. Is this a disconnect for you?
While I am not a die hard AAer, I do live by the basic principals of the program, so I suppose I can still answer. I have no problem with the fact that many in AA use the term recovered, or that it is used in the book either. I just perfer to say recovering. I am not here to pass judgment, or to try to tell someone that they are going to fail if they don't use the correct terms (or even that there are correct terms).....I do not in any way feel that the word(s) recovering/recovered would be a disconnect for me....let me say that again...for me.

Cathy...Recovering Alcoholic for over 16 years
Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have posted on this many times where i have stated that i am recovered and not recovering almost to the point of taking the implication that i might be recovering as an insult...in the Big Book is says recovered...but, thankfully, now i couldn't care less what anyone calls themselves:-)

If i had to answer the question now i would say i am recovered from the mental obsession and am a recovering alcoholic in all other aspects of my life and will be until the day i die...