Notices

Addicts in AA...

Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

AA's Traditions state that the ONLY requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking and that our membership should include all who suffer from alcoholism. This means that if you are an alcoholic who wants to recover, nothing else is required.

Anything else you may identify with, such as addiction, over eating, relationship troubles, sexual orientation, rich, poor, occupation, ethnicity, nationality, hair color, age, gambling problems, etc., are none of AA's concern.

AA has a singleness of purpose to help other alcoholics recover through the 12 Steps. Groups vary in how strictly they stick with that singleness of purpose idea, but the idea is that AA deals with alcohol. That's what we know and that's what we do.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I really think things are changing - so many people these days have done both drugs and alcohol and even combined the two. I agree with you and MissCB (we should combine the groups - I mean it's the same program!)......

I'm not currently going to AA, but have spent years in those rooms and I can tell you that I don't remember anyone having a problem with an addict being there. I may not have related to all of their story, but we shared the same struggle.

Good post, Aurora
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aurora80 View Post
I went to an AA meeting today, stayed afterwards, got phone number and a potential sponsor, and bought a 12x12. I've only been to a handful of meetings a couple months back, but I'm ready to attempt to work this program.

The thing is, I am an addict as well as an alcoholic and I'm wondering how this works in AA? Is it taboo to talk about ones addiction/drug use? Are most people that sponsor in AA ok with a person who is an addict as well as an alcoholic?

Initially I just assumed that it would all be accepted because I thought alcohol was just another drug. BUt I've read a couple posts around here that give me the impression that maybe it's not so acceptable?

Somebody needs to start up an AAA group... Addicts and Alcoholics Anonymous.

hi my name is ..... I am an an alcoholic and an addict

i don't talk about my other addictions in aa because it is not really what i am there for...i am there to stop drinking and that is what that fellowship is about

my sponsor is an alcoholic and an addict but we only rarely touch on addictions that aren't alcohol...its not taboo, just not our main focus

so i say, stay focused, be you and don't be afraid to let it all out in a meeting

there is plenty of room in aa for cross-addiction
Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm really pleased you are finally addressing both
your alcoholism and drug use.....

I too used drugs after I drank...but my addiction
is only to alcohol....so AA is where I stay.

If I had become addicted to drugs...then I would use both programs.
Seems simple to me...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It was always suggested I look for the similarities, not the differences.

So, alcoholic/addict, it really does not make much of a difference.

Bill W & Bob S our co-founders were both. So am I.......

Granted the drugs of today are different, but we have a disease of perception, a mind powered disease.

The literature says I have warped my mind on pg 21 of the 12 x 12. LOL.......and I sure do believe that!

I am not interested in telling "my story" (or candidly in hearing yours), as we all know how to drink, use, fall down, crash cars, hurt people, or maybe even a trip to jail, or a DUI. (or more)

What is CRITICAL for my life, is to learn how to live in the moment, coping without alcohol/drugs and having meaningful relationships in every aspect of my life.

How to be kinder, more patient, more tolerant, loving and giving. Courteous, self-less and being of service. Learning humility: 1) "no less than, no greater than" 2) "the humble heart of a servant"

How to develop a relationship with a Power great than myself.

AA in six words: Finding God, cleaning house, helping others.

Taking (no, NOT working) the Steps, as a way of life. Taking them, or applying them as a way of life. Learning how to apply the spiritual principles clearly spelled out in our literature.

If I have the proper guidance from a sponsor, and take the Steps in my life, I have a psychic change/ a spiritual awakening*.

SO, the stories frequently heard in meetings really have almost nothing to do with recovery.

I want to know how to live today thanks!

I hope you will speak of how you deal with life today, recovering.

* as explained on pg 106, last paragraph in the 12 X 12.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hardcore crackhead here, got sober in AA. Thanks go to God and Bill.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Hardcore crackhead here, got sober in AA. Thanks go to God and Bill.
Well said! Glad an addict can check in & tell of a better life via God and AA.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm an interesting case. I used drugs because I never liked alcohol and at first it was about being messed up with the rest of my friends in college. Than I realized how much using helped my anxiety and depression... than I was on a really bad path. Never was a big drinker though could always control my use, don't even like the feeling of being drunk. ALL THAT BEING SAID - I have NEVER been to anything besides AA meetings and I find that I get everything I need at AA meetings. I say at the beginning hi my names X and im an Addict. Thats it I don't say alcoholic I just say addict - I have NEVER had one person say anything to me about how I shouldn't be there. The disease IS the same the only difference is the withdrawal. The techniques to stay sober are exactly the same. If you're an addict and you go to an AA meeting and they're bothered by the fact that you're an addict I would strongly recommend not going to that meeting, but I've been to a ton of AA meetings and NOT ONCE has anyone ever said a word to me about not considering myself an alcoholic.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

"I am an addict as well as an alcoholic and I'm wondering how this works in AA?" You are in the right place my friend. There are other options too if you wish to stay with an AA program with the ability to talk about drugs. CA and DAA use the Big Book and the AA program to work on the same underlying issues that led to our drinking
Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome UpperbucksAAguy

Just to let folks know - this is a 12 month old thread

D
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

We have had issues about singleness of purpose at my home group. It has been a frequent meeting topic as of late.

Basically at my home group, discussing specific drugs is frowned upon. They want you to talk to an addict in the AA group on how to share. I hear elders talking about "andas" too and they don't like those either. (Alcoholic and a addict)

The purpose of AA is to treat alcoholism and that is what holds the group together. Addicts are welcome. Alcoholism is what we are there to discuss.

The meeting leader today said "if there was a pile of coke on the right and a bottle of vodka on the left, I would drink the vodka first and then do the coke." I TOTALLY identify with that statement. Sad, but true.

I don't get all amped up about singleness of purpose, but I am thankful for the Traditions because they are what keeps AA alive.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

There is a big difference between a heroin addict and an alcoholic. They are two totally different addictions. I used a lot of meth when I drank along with pot. I had no problem stopping the meth and the pot. Drinking was another story. I went to both NA and AA in the beginning of recovery.after awhile I had a really hard time relating to the junkies and stopped going.

There are always a few people who are anal about even mentioning drugs at an AA meeting. I see nothing wrong with adding a comment about using drugs, put drug a logs are plain wrong.

This is a spiritual program. The 12 Traditions are a very important aspect of recovery. The longer I am sober the more I see the important principal of AA's singleness of purpose. As long as anyone has a desire to stop drinking, they are welcome. Not respecting the traditions is just another manifestation of one of the biggest defect of character found in alcoholics and addicts, - self-centerdness.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

There is a big difference between a heroin addict and an alcoholic....

What is similar is the lack of coping skills, the dissatisfied mind, the importance of self, the "it's is all about me", and the grandiose, childish & emotionally sensitive personalities. We have all warped our minds and need a complete overhaul and finally start growing emotionally.....at least that is my experience an alcoholic & addict) and that of most I know.

Around here the addict/alcoholic situation is generally not an issue.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Half my home/group are alcoholic/addicts...A few introduce themselves as addicts only...They don't get into their drugs of choice and replace drinking with using...Pretty much the same way alkies don't get into what types of alcohol or what brands they drank. I guess my HG looks at it like...if you can find a solution with the 12 steps and the fellowship and it works for you...Not a problem.....I sure don't have one with it...Quite a few of them attend AA and NA or CA.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Never been a issue at any of the meetings I've attended either.

God bless.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
~sb

My alcoholism showed up in the form of drug use, too. I still identify as an alcoholic. Alcoholism has little to do with the substance, it's about our behaviors.

What's the group conscience suggest? (sounds like the secretary might have their own issue)