Notices

Wondering if anyone has gone to rehab?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wondering if anyone has gone to rehab?

I'm considering looking into a 90 day in patient program. Honestly, I don't know where to start or how to tell my employer. Has anyone here done a 90 day program?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Yes, I have. I managed to get myself fired before I went though, so did not have to tell my employer.
It was the best decision I ever made and this was 16 years ago.
It is incredible the work you can get done when all your focus is on yourself.
The employer would probably be impressed to see you take the step. If they know you are addict or alcoholic, then they will be happy and relieved. If they don't know, they will be impressed you are doing something before it became a problem for them.
Either way, I am PRO rehab as long as it is behavior mod based.
Good luck!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello marie antoinette and welcome!
l went to a 28 day inpatient rehab it was the best decision l ever made
l've now been sober 21 months. The program included AA as well as counselling, exercise, meditation, mindfullness and group sessions, it also has a comprehensive outpatient program follow up as maintence.
l didn't tell my employer l am an alcoholic, ( l work in the medical field and would probably have lost my job) but l did tell some of my workmates who were all very supportive.
l know where l went l got a medical certificate for the whole 28 days just saying l was unfit for work.
Only you know if rehab is for you. You could always go for an assessment then make an informed decision

No one who achieves success does so without the help of others.
The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.
Alfred North Whitehead
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I did rehab twice for 30 days (ten years apart). They were different rehabs, hence different atmospheres, but I gained immensely from both. I highly recommend it to anyone trying to get sober. Infact, someday I hope there are programs for everything and everyone, and employers would allow for a 2-4 week program once a year.... (just a dream of mine!).

It's a wonderful chance to work on yourself without distractions.

Some treatment centers are quite expensive, but others are not only reasonable, but they'll work with you on payment plans. Maybe start by looking up rehabs in your state (google "low cost treatment centers in ____").

If your employer isn't cool with the 90 day program, maybe they'd accept a 30 day.....(?)

Hope you can find what you need - Your life is more important than any job........
Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I've been through two 28 day programs and one 120 day program. Told my employer (same for all three) and my job was protected under FMLA.

(FMLA lasts a max of 12 weeks, which wasn't enough to cover the entire 120 program. My employer voluntarily held my job for me after 12 weeks that time.)
Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. Been to rehab. Never did a 90 day. I own a business and really couldn't. If I could - I would have, at least 28 days. Pick the right one and do research. All the best to u
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm hoping my employer will allow me to use FMLA, but since PA is an at will state, I'm afraid they will just fire me instead.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

marie,
I don't think they can. California is an at will state as well. FMLA is a FEDERAL act. I don't believe that the state can override that, but I could be wrong...
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarieAntoinette View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm hoping my employer will allow me to use FMLA, but since PA is an at will state, I'm afraid they will just fire me instead.
Its protected under FMLA, and most likely (depending on the circumstances) under the ADA as well, both Federal laws. A state cannot undermine federal law, regardless of at will employment status.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Marie, I went to a 42 day program a year ago and it was a very positive experience. Look at it this way - if you don't get sober, soon enough you will be unemployed. If you still don't get sober, you will become unemployable. All of which assumes you live long enough to get to that point.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Several

I went to three and they were very benefiical and were at no cost. Some rehabs do not require payment, depending on your situation.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe rehab is beneficial if it is based on cognitive behavour modification, is dual diagnosis, small, has intense one-on-one therapy at least three times a week and understands the physiological side of alcoholism. If you take the time and spend money you deserve the best, look for it in credentials and experience.
SH
Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I believe rehabs are only good at separating the alcoholic/addict from their source. They help us get physically better.

They do not, in my opinion, treat the underlying cause of the drinking-- the actual alcoholism.