Notices

First Post

Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks artsoul and everyone. I don't know if I'm an oddball or what but I really don't crave alcohol that much at this point. I went from 2+ bottles of wine or 12-18 beers a day, quit, and now feel okay. Just a little empty if that makes any sense. I'm at 9 days now and starting to feel a lot better.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's great, Humble!

It seems like people have all kinds of experiences in recovery. For some, the first few days are the hardest, others hit a wall later on. (I shouldn't say wall; a rickety fence or a hedge you can plow through....) For me the early part was fairly easy; exciting even. Later I started hearing that voice, telling me I had done well, vanquished the beast, why not pick up one nice cold beer on the way home, etc. etc. What a liar that voice is.

Anyway, I'm personally enjoying the good days — but staying on high-alert for unexpected urges. I'm cautiously optimistic, with equal emphasis on both parts of that phrase...
Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HUMBLEPIE View Post
Just a little empty if that makes any sense.
Hi HumblePie. I know exactly what you mean by empty. We need to fill the time we spent drinking with something else. Recovery work is always a good idea. But reading or watching a movie or whatever you like to do works too. Best wishes.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome.

As somebody already mentioned you need to get a plan. It sounds like alcohol was a big part of your life for the past 20 years. To remove that from your life leaves a big void that you need to fill in with something else. If you fail to fill in the void, when life gets challenging you may use alcohol again.