Notices

To those with criminal records, or anyone else interested

Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((North))) - I couldn't see anything but darkness for a while, too. I was angry that I couldn't get high any more, ashamed because of the things I'd done, despondent over my lost career, felt guilty for the pain I had caused my family. You name a bad feeling, I felt it.

My feeling was, for I don't know how long, "just don't do anything that's going to bring MORE bad ****, you've got enough to deal with". My first gratitude list everyone recommends? Didn't wanna do it. Finally, when I got miserable enough, I said, through gritted teeth, "I'm grateful I have a soft bed and pillow" because in jail, they were anything but soft. It took time, and forcing myself to find things to be grateful for, but it helped.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
I know I should be grateful to even be breathing, but I am having a hard time getting past the depression. I know drinking will not make me feel better. Right now, I don't have the desire to drink. As low as I'm feeling, I know drinking will make me feel lower, which is scary.

Life used to be so easy. Now its a daily struggle
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

(((Northland))) - I'm sorry the anti-d's caused more problems. Is therapy an option?

FWIW, it took me quite a while to make that first, very short, gratitude list.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Northland))) - I'm sorry the anti-d's caused more problems. Is therapy an option?

FWIW, it took me quite a while to make that first, very short, gratitude list.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
I currently see an addictions counselor once a week, and have been seeing a counselor for anxiety/depression, but I only see her once every few weeks because she's so busy.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

None of us have a crystal ball, so we cant tell you what might or might not happen. All I can say is do what is right and you will have a life beyond your wildest dreams.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

If I were you, I'd immurse myself in AA.

I'd contact MADD or some drunk driving entity and volunteer my butt off.

This is going to take action and a lot of it, in my opinion.

You'll get better and it'll show in all aspects of your life (specifically in all future careers).
Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A friend of mine killed a guy driving in a blackout, did a year for it, and drank for another year or two before doing the AA stuff.

When sober he completed a nursing degree and wanted to go on to become Nurse/Anethetesiologist but the conviction was in the way of his licensing. He was about 4 years then, and went back to the same court and judge that put him away for the killing and the judge reversed it and cleared his record.

He said it was incredible to stand in the same spot as before. And have what was going on for him in sobreity to compare with what was going on with him drinking.

He's over 20yrs sober now, wildly successful and has a quality life.

My Son was a little drunken crimminal, but got sober 9yrs ago at 20, obtained his 4yr university degree and is finishing one of the finest law schools next May. The judge cleared his slate too, so he could study law.

Could happen for you if you work to deserve it.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If I was in this position I would go to school to be a drug/alcohol counselor..something that your experience might even be an advantage.

For every person I know that has their dream job I know 5 that couldn't get a job in what they went to school for and do something else, even without a criminal record.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
A friend of mine killed a guy driving in a blackout, did a year for it, and drank for another year or two before doing the AA stuff.

When sober he completed a nursing degree and wanted to go on to become Nurse/Anethetesiologist but the conviction was in the way of his licensing. He was about 4 years then, and went back to the same court and judge that put him away for the killing and the judge reversed it and cleared his record.

He said it was incredible to stand in the same spot as before. And have what was going on for him in sobreity to compare with what was going on with him drinking.

He's over 20yrs sober now, wildly successful and has a quality life.

My Son was a little drunken crimminal, but got sober 9yrs ago at 20, obtained his 4yr university degree and is finishing one of the finest law schools next May. The judge cleared his slate too, so he could study law.

Could happen for you if you work to deserve it.
Things don't work that way over here. It's a hard and long process to get a pardon for past criminal activity.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dubbguy View Post
If I was in this position I would go to school to be a drug/alcohol counselor..something that your experience might even be an advantage.

For every person I know that has their dream job I know 5 that couldn't get a job in what they went to school for and do something else, even without a criminal record.
I've thought about being a counselor for at risk youth, but I don't know if I'd be any good at it.

Can you elaborate on the second part of what you said?I don't know what you're trying to say
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"Things don't work that way over here. It's a hard and long process to get a pardon for past criminal activity."

My Son's internship was done in a non-profit legal center that specialized in cleaning up criminal records for people who turned themselves around, and had some track record of living well. All work was without charge to the people he represented. He was asked to open a similar operation in a neighboring town and maintain oversight of volunteer staffing from a smaller legal college.

Looks like you may have something similar here.

Clear your Criminal Restrictions | National Pardon Centre

Wouldn't suggest you get anyone involved on your behalf until you're 3 years away from your last drink. And have something to bring to the court that indicates you're on a different path.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's not question about it, I'm depressed.

I've been on anti-depressants before, and I can't do it again. They messed me up, and it took me a long time to get off of them. The side-effects were too much to justify the benefits.
Sometimes it's a question of finding the right med, North. I'd talk to your Dr/Therapist about it - at least examine your options.

D
Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I had a similar situation to this as I am about to enroll in graduate school - certainly did not want to pursue that if I were unemployable. I spoke with the certifying agencies in my state and the staff at my school's program who are involved with assisting in job placement.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm not all that familiar with the mining industry, but my bet is that there are a lot of different career paths, which may have different requirements. Some doors may be more open to you than others in the beginning, but with time and effort, even some of the tougher doors may well open up to you as you establish a reputation for being competent, knowledgeable and reliable.

If you're only willing to pursue that which is a sure thing, you won't get anywhere. Life, and careers, are full of risks. Some will pay off, some may not. I can't imagine that a degree in mining engineering would be worthless so long as you have addressed your alcohol problem.

I work in the legal system (here in the US) and I've seen people overcome all kinds of obstacles even with a criminal background--IF they are motivated to do it.