Notices

alcohol withdrawl

Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question alcohol withdrawl

so is it really as dangerous as the forum says? I quit 12 hours ago and only then discovered there is a withdrawl syndrome. What do I do? if the liquor stores were open I'd go get some; I'm alone here and can't go the hospital or a doctor. Kind of shaky and agitated.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ZZZZ

I don't want to worry you - lots of people do seem to be ok with detox - I myself detoxed without apparent ill effect hundreds of times...but the last time I ended up having a series of mini strokes. I'll carry the legacy of that forever.

I was lucky really - alcohol is one of the few drugs where withdrawal can kill.

That's why I suggest people see a Dr - we can never know, and I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

Shaky and agitated is not abnormal, but please if you're concerned, please go to the ER - if you can't get there call 911.

D
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know I'm new here but I agree with Dee74. Please go the ER. I just did this last Sunday and it helped out more than words can describe.

Couch
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't want to get more alcohol. We are not allowed to give medical advice here, and you don't say how much or how often you have been drinking. If you start to have strong withdrawl symptoms you will know it, and you should seek medical attention. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

since June; lately it's been about two wine bottles a day.
How would one describe "strong" symptoms? if I go to the ER will they keep me there or just give me drugs and let me go home? I don't have anyone to let the dogs out to pee.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I should have already gone through the worst already, right? if this is as bad as it gets I'll be ok. 13 hours. Just get through the night.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
How would one describe "strong" symptoms? if I go to the ER will they keep me there or just give me drugs and let me go home? I don't have anyone to let the dogs out to pee.
I wouldn't take the chance....isn't there someone you can call to help out?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only you can know if you need help or not, ZZZZ.

I've never been to the ER myself, and I'm not American anyway - hopefully someone else can help you there with what happens - but if they kept you in, you'd need to be there for your own good.

D
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

A lot of it depends on how much you drank and for how long. Shakes, sweats, anxiety, insomnia are all symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. If your heart starts racing or you feel shortness of breath or chest pains, please call 911. It's true that alcohol detox can be deadly. It can cause your blood pressure to rise to a point where you could have a stroke or heart attack. It's nothing to mess around with.

Again, if you feel your heart beating extremely fast or you feel chest pains, please, call 911.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I should have already gone through the worst already, right? if this is as bad as it gets I'll be ok. 13 hours. Just get through the night.
Mine were the worst at about 6 -8 hours after my last drink. The first time I had detoxed it was hard, I would try to stay moving like pacing for an hour, then I would try to sleep, it was uncomfortable, but I got through it.( I was coming off a binge and had been drinking straight and hard for 3-4 days). If you feel any severe temperture changes in your body, or if you start having trouble breathing call 911, and they will hold you for about 6-8 hours.

I was told to try and take my mind off it by deep breathing and walking. Stay strong, and remember anxiety is part of the withdrawal, so the more you think about it the more worked up you will get. Try and relax. My guess is you will be OK once you get to sleep.

This is not medical advice, just my own experience with detoxing.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ok thanks. I'm actually feeling a bit better. Looked up how to get to the nearest hospital, will stay near phone in case, guess if I die there will be no one to let the dogs out anyway. Why doesn't anyone tell us about withdrawl? they could put big signs up in the liquor stores or something..
I recently fled an abusive spouse who would drink tons of vodka and well, I don't really know anyone in this area. Haven't even met the neighbors really. Family is all thousands of miles away.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My strong symptoms were uncontrolable shaking so fierce that I couldn't hold a glass to my mouth or dial the phone on the first try, and I thought I was having a heart attack to the point where I said outloud "sh#t!!! I'm dieing!"

This was the last time I home detoxed, and I had to call 911, but I lived.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think the symptoms are starting to get better. Walking up and down is great advice!
Has anyone done this without going to AA meetings?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

You find all kinds of methods here ZZZZ.

Here's a list to some of the main recognised programmes
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I've only used SR myself.
D
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wish you the best through these hellish times and hope you do call the hospital if you are experiencing what others described.

All I have to add is that you don't ever have to go through this again. You don't have to inflict all this pain onto to yourself. It can be avoided.

Bests,
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Everyone will have their own individual experience of withdrawl, but its always advisable to seek medical advice. My ex saw the doctor a few days into sobriety and she was very helpful, he too got uncontrolable shakes, headaches, brain fog, night sweats etc, he had been drinking for 30 years so the doctor wanted to keep a close eye on him. Unfortunately he relapsed. But please stay strong and keep with it, it will get better and you will be so glad you got through this awful intiital stage. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Hope you're feeling better now. Sounds like you're on your way to a good life. Stick with it!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

still here. Kind of shaky in fits that come and go; worst in the weird sweating episodes. Did manage to sleep, and the liquor stores are open and I haven't gone. Eating yogurt.
Realized I had sat around all last week and done absolutely nothing but drink and didn't feel good at all.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi zzzz. You are over the worst of it. If u were goin to hit a dangerous patch it would have been last nite. Once the anxiety wears off u will have to deal with depression for a couple of days, maybe a week or so. But thats the price we pay. At least u are going in the right direction. I would advise you to join AA and go to meetings. Get exercise and eat right. U will b fine
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi ZZZZ. Glad things are getting a little better for you.