Notices

alcohol withdrawl

Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ZZZZ,

Glad to hear you are still hanging tough. Be sure and post or hit the chatroom if you need support. As I am fond of saying, we are on 6 continents here at SR and you can usually find someone around for support if you need it.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

At an AA meeting you might find someone willing to let out your dogs if you get in trouble. They will also understand what you are going through right now and will be able to help you with some of the difficulties you've been having. These folks have been where you are now at. Sometimes that's better than suffering alone.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Lots of water or a drink with electrolytes, try and eat some food. The big thing is to stay hydrated.. Depending on how bad the withdrawels are you may want to go see your doctor.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Withdrawal, the physical part, can last a few days to a week, and can be mild to severe. But for heaven's sake if you start feeling worse, or racing heart or unbearable anxiety/shaking, please go to the ER. Is there no one to care for your dogs? I have three dogs and understand your dilemma but as you said, if you die there will be no one to care for them at all. Your health has to come first or you can't care for them.

As far as this:

Why doesn't anyone tell us about withdrawl?
Posting signs in the liquor store would drive away customers and they don't give a crap about your well being, they just want your money. Besides, I've gone thru w/d too many times to count and it didn't stop me from drinking again... and again... and again...

Drink lots of fluids; water, juice, gatorade. EAsy food like soup or crackers or toast. Rest if you can't sleep. Distract yourself with reading, TV, movies or whatever takes your mind off the w/d. Whatever you do - don't drink!! Or you'll just have to go thru it all over again. Do'nt be as stupid as I was too many times, drinking to stave off the w/d anxiety.

I hope you get thru this safely and find a way, any way, to stay sober. I went to AA a lot in early sobriety but don't go near as much now. I stay sober with the support from this site, my fantastic addiction counselor, and a habit of counting my blessings which makes me not want to drink at all for fear of destroying all I am blessed with.

Keep us updated how you're doing, and remember - if you don't drink again you never have to go thru this hell again.

We also have a Class of January thread in Newcomers for extra support from people getting sober this month. Check it out!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Old 01-08-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

doing good- eating, a bit shaky, had a couple weird sweating episodes. Think it's pretty much over. Did have an urge to drink at the usual coming-home time, but gulped down the juice and it passed.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Seeing a Doc is always best, I had a really rough time on my own last time. I guess eating and drinking as much water as possiblke and sleeping when you can.

Glad your feeling a bit better
Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
doing good- eating, a bit shaky, had a couple weird sweating episodes. Think it's pretty much over. Did have an urge to drink at the usual coming-home time, but gulped down the juice and it passed.
It sounds like you are over the worst of 'the fear', though it can last a few days.

Good luck and God bless.