Notices

Surrender

Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surrender

Surrender was a word in the Daily Reflections book today. I read it during lunch and it struck me somewhat but I didn't have time to really reflect on it till tonight.

This is a tough word. Tougher still to reflect on. Tougher still to put into practice in my life.

To have a problem or situation that comes up and instead of trying to control it, cursing to the sky, crying myself to sleep over it or trying to ignore the problem all together. Or worse yet turning to alcohol to help dampen or take myself away from the problem. Why can't I say "I give up, this is beyond my control, take this from me and do with it as You will"?

I can't say that now, but I hope to be able to put it to practice. And hope to have the ability to do it soon.

Surrender will be added to my many words that I pray about.

Lord, show me humility, give me humbleness, grant me the ability to listen and help me surrender.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. This really hits home for me. A relative is a late-stage alcoholic, and despite a recent car crash and DWI, it appears that she has no plan to stay sober (I will try harder...not a great plan at this point!!!). I am sad, with I could fix it, mad, disappointed. There is nothing more I can do. I prayed to ight and found myself saying, Please take this from me...but I realized it was MY job to surrender it. I am trying...not really succeeding. But trying.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That was beautiful, TinMan..... thank you for those thoughts....

I like the idea of surrender. It's like trusting that we're a part of something much bigger and more profound than ourselves, which is good and loving. We're using faith, in a way. Faith to believe that the universe (or God, or Love) is there for us, it's benevolent, and ultimately we cannot fail. We needn't cling so tightly to our little problems.

Thanks for reminding me of that - it helped me tonight!:ghug3
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can use this myself. I can surrender and at this stage of my life, with alcohol behind me (as I shall never return to it) I can apply this to the wreckage left in my life, not just from alcohol, but from life in general. I will surrender the items I have no control over and control the items I can manage. The rest is at the mercy of my creator.