Notices

New here..legal consequences?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here..legal consequences?

Hi. This is my first time ever posting on any sort of site like this, because although I have known for awhile I had a problem, I didn't want to admit it. I don't have any other choice now though. A couple days ago I wrecked my car and got my 2nd DWI in less than a year. Spent the night in jail and now not only am I looking at two years without a license, I destroyed my car.
I have hit bottom and I can't do this anymore. I haven't drank since which isn't much of an accomplishment but I don't plan on ever drinking again. We are looking at rehabs right now and I will be getting into one as soon as possible. I was just wondering if anyone else suffered legal problems as a result of their drinking? I am so mad at myself because I had just gotten my license back last month. I swore that I would never drink and drive again but blacked out and didn't even know I was driving. I am really ashamed of myself and would just like support that things can get better.

Oh, and I am 21 years old. Other than being an alcoholic, I think I am pretty normal. Up until now, I was a full-time college student but will be taking the semester off to get help. I have a part-time job in a deli, love spending time with friends, family and my boyfriend, and my favorite show is the Golden Girls. :] I don't think I am a horrible person. I just have a horrible addiction. It's nice to have found this site where hopefully I'll meet other people who know what this is like to go through.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome kdmiller! So glad you found us! I am just a little more than a month ahead of you. My 2nd dui (8 years between) happened 12-02-10. It too, brought me to the realization that I must never drink again if I want to keep another dui or something tragically worse from happening. Looking ahead, I must be honest with myself. I know if I ever drink again, if I run out before I'm done drinking that day/night, I will get in my vehicle and drive to the store, because once I'm drunk, I lose my ability to take anything else into consideration except my next drink. I am thankful the state of Oregon is going to be keeping tabs on me for the next 2 years! I'll use that to my recovery advantage. Hope to hear more from you soon!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never suffered legal problems, but I deserved them from the times I drove after drinking. I am truly blessed that I never did get stopped or it would have been a DUI for sure.

I wish you success in rehab. Take things one day at a time and don't look too far down the road. Do the right thing today and just don't drink for today. Your life can get better but you'll have to take what comes and accept responsibility for your actions. I'm glad you're getting sober at such a young age. You won't be making any regrets or bad memories for when you get older by staying sober now.

Welcome to our recovery family!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a DUI 10 years ago, and had to do a long stint in AA, and alcohol counseling. I wasn't very active, because I wasn't planning on quitting forever when it occurred, (I didn't think I had a problem). My advice for you would be to take advantage of every program they make you go to, be an active participant and learn....you might as well because you are paying for it. I am happy tyo hear that you are mature enough at your age to realize that quitting for good is your best option, I was in my 30's, and I still was in denial to where my drinking was leading. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi kdmiller

I've never had legal problems myself but I know you'll find help and support here

I drank for about the length of time you've been alive - I think, as bad as it was, if your DUI can get you on the road to recovery at such a young age, you might end up seeing it in a positive light

Welcome to SR
D
Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

I have a clean record but a dirty conscience.

You'll find plenty of people here in your boat and many recent threads that deal with your very topic.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know your not ready to laugh at it yet, it may be a while. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. For me it was ugly, disgusting, had my 2 young daughters in the car. Talk about self loathing !! It was the best thing that ever happened to me !! My girls are now all grown and married. I have 4 grandsons and am actively involved in there lives. It was the DUI that made it all possible. Take this ugly, gut wrenching thing and make something wonderful out of it.

Hoping for the best,

Ron
Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. It's nice to know there are people out there who understand what I'm going through and I'm glad I can come to you guys when I have problems or want to drink. I haven't drank in almost a week even though I have had the opportunity. I know a week isn't so long but right now I am taking anything I can get. I am lucky to have my life, and understanding people in it.

I'm not very good at this forum thing; I'm more used to facebook and sites like that..but I'm going to try and visit these forums frequently because I think I can learn some stuff from you guys and hopefully provide support too. Thanks for being there for me, it means more than I can say.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I agree that you can make this the point at which you change your life for good.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome kd - Glad you're getting sober.... Rehab will give you a good start on solid recovery, and I'm so glad you have people supporting you. The great thing about this forum is that everyone understands what you're going through, and you can come here any time day or night if you have an urge to drink.

The positive thing about all this is that you'll never have another DWI!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome kd. I have a pretty good idea what you're going through. Last March 24, I received my 2nd DUI. I was just over 2 months removed from completing probation for my 1st DUI and getting my license back.

That was the last time I had a drink.

The first DUI should've been enough to slap some sense into me. The 2nd one should have as well. But it was actually what happened the next day that got my attention; I wanted to drive somewhere and drink more beer.

After getting out of jail for my 2nd DUI, the 1 thing I wanted most was another beer. In the face of all kinds of consequences, I still wanted to drink.

And that's when I knew that drinking would be the worst thing I could do.

I went to 4 AA meetings that day and found this site that night. And I've been without a drink ever since.

The legal troubles will likely be great. But you will have to deal with them, and drinking will only make matters worse and not help 1 bit. I'm very glad you found this site and I hope you hang around for a while.