Notices

Do people look at you different now?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eviLution View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm going through now. People usually don't talk to me because they think I'm arrogant and cocky because I keep this serious face. Once they find out I have bad teeth some would even talk **** like I did something to them.

How did you end up getting help?
I went to Thailand.

Have heard that Panama has comparable prices for dental work, but airfare is a lot cheaper from here to Thailand.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
totfit

I think we typically think we occupy other people's thoughts a lot more than we do. The reality is that others likely not only don't look at us differently, but don't even think about our issues. I think it a typical human trait that we feel as if we are wearing our "issues" like a suit and everyone sees it. The most important thing is what we think and how we look at ourselves. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) others aren't nearly as critical of us as we are of ourselves. We often just "feel" as if they look at us differently, when in fact they don't.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't know if people look at me differently or not but I do know that I look at me differently now and I like what I see.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Would like to know if people look at you different now because of your alcohol or drug problem? If so, how do you deal with it.
i personally dont think people give a damn or care less what i drink they are too buzy enjoying themselves. its actually how I feel, I think I would feel awkward not accepting a drink, but hell no, that's a lie, i think its called denial, coz if I didnot want to drink then i wouldnt, and i drink coz I want to. Phew its taken me a long while to admit that. I miss drinking but not all the horrors that go with it. I used to have hangovers like nervous breakdowns and I dont miss them but when I start drinking I want more, more, more.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I haven't noticed anyone looking at me differently. Maybe it's because I just gave it up that one night and turned the page on that aspect of my life, without letting it jeopardize the me inside.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I get a lot more respect than I used to while I was using. Usually both for the way I now act and also the fact that I choose to take better care of myself. Alcohol/addiction is not quite as stigmatized as it once was-- I can open up without people thinking I am morally deficient. I don't go around bragging about being in recovery, but I don't hide the fact, either. It occasionally comes up in conversation. People are usually cool with it, I haven't gotten anyone that stopped talking to me because I'm an addict, although I did lose a few friends for choosing to not drink or do drugs anymore. Their loss.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I look at me differently
and I look at you differently
In fact I see everything differently
and I am still growing!