Notices

does anyone have.....

Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
part time member

My husband has not been supportive and thinks that I can drink one day. It has been over a year. He doesn't ask me if I want a drink anymore but he leaves the bottles out on the counter all the time. I am much stronger than I was so it doesn't bother me as much but still bothers me. I do believe that he misses his drinking buddy. I have to keep telling myself that this is MY problem and deal with it. You will be alright if you also realize that it is your problem. Welcom to SR lots of information and support here.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithurbanfan View Post
OklaBH...........we have a LOT in common! Especially the skipping dinner thing and the all or nothing! We need to talk!

Anytime! I totally agree!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Aim right there with you all. I think my husband is confused about my sobriety...it makes him wonder about his drinking, and I will say I don't like his boozy smell now. I know I need AA to help focus on my problem, but it's wierd, as my husband is my best friend, and we always drank together. I guess we need to find our balance again.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I first confessed to my husband that I had been using every day for the past 2 weeks (this about a year ago) he said "Okay, well, time to stop, no big deal" etc. When I did it again (2 weeks straight of using seems to be where I fall apart and take too much) he was mildly irritated, but tried to get me back on course. He used to use too, but hasn't in a long time, so he was not really my using buddy, I used alone. When we used to use together, I always took more than him (and he is literally twice my size) and continued to dose after he went to bed. It irritated him, but he never thought of me as an "addict".

When I did my third two-week run, he suggested that I get some help, finally got on board with me giving it up and saw that it was a big deal, but he didn't know HOW big. I went to NA, relapsed again, went to rehab, relapsed, back to NA, relapsed-- nothing seemed to work! Finally he was forced to give me an ultimatum, it got that bad! I have only relapsed once since then, but went to a psych ward, started getting closer to my higher power, and found other tools to help me stay clean. It's been a long road, but I have over 3 months clean now and have not had the urge to use!

Anyway, that is my story of a spouse who didn't see the big deal at first, but was finally brought PAST the point of understanding, to the point where he knew it HAD to happen, or he couldn't be with me. Hopefully you don't have to keep relapsing for your husband to realize how important it is. Are you in AA? If so, perhaps you could pick up some pamphlets or something on who is an alcoholic and how family can help?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

The reason I started this topic was to see if anyone else had a spouse who didn't believe they seriously saw their drinking as a problem.
Gottcha. It looks like I misread your orig. post.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

keithurbanfan, I think the first step with you and your spouse is to have a long talk about this issue on hand. Make sure you mean business and you want him/her to change too. That means if you can't handle alcohol in the house then tell your spouse to not have in there. A lot of times spouse don't want to have an addiction spouse because it means that they have to change their way of life or have to see that bad part of the spouse. So, talk things with the spouse and if they really care about you then they will support the changes.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

coffeenut and MsCooterBrown, did your marriages end because of your desire to be sober?
If I could answer this question...I would write a book. I am not an expert..I have not been to any type of counciling (have done hypnosis) and the main reason is I am afraid of what will come out. I believe that everyone has a different reaction to alcohol. My former husband is a Jekyl/Hyde guy. As the years went on after he drank he would get more and more violent. NEVER happened until he had been drinking alot. I had to get out for my sanity..and safety. And I have dearly wanted to be sober for at least the last five years..I would love to see him sober. But no matter what..I have to move forward. And I still have alot of work to do on myself. I worry about him all the time.
You will be fine..I agree with just taking it one day at a time.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Keith....my marriage is still intact.

I have set very clear boundries with alcohol and his drinking. He is respectful of that. And yes....it has changed our relationship in a huge way.