Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel the need to be drinking something (n/a) constantly?

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Since I got sober, I feel a constant need to drink something. Mostly no caffine herbal tea or hot water. No matter how much I drink, I never feel satisfied and feel out of sorts without a cup in my hand...haha!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've always been that way. I always have a drink next to me. It's usually iced tea, but sometimes it's vitamin water, coffee or plain water. We usually have a 12-pack of sodas here, but I don't care too much for them. One or two a week is plenty enough for me.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gosh Nikkle,
I remember desperatly trying to detox with water, tea, more water, more tea,ad infinitum ...thank goodness those crazy weeks (months ?) are over !?!

Now, I'm thinking I probably need to drink a little more water most days !

Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It would be virtually impossible for a person to drink more coffee than I have the past 20 days.

Patman
Day 20
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes ! day 16 and a thirst that cannot be quenched.
Wake in the mornings with a mouth so dry it's almost indescribable.
What was really odd for the first certainly 5 days (sorry if it's TMI) was that the amount being consumed was 3-4 times what was coming out.
Started to make a note of the amount and it seems to be 8-10 pints per day of various things.
Having read up it stands to reason that the body was very deyhdrated and not functioning normally. Beer or cider used to be what i drank, full of what they call empty calories. Over time apparently the body comes to rely on that ather than 'normal' metabolism of carbs.
Getiing full blood work done next week so will be asking the doc about the constant thirst. Have no reason to believe i'm diabetic but the two can often go hand in hand.

Orange juice/lemonade 50/50 makes a nice thirst quencher, as does sparkling spring water.
Fruit helps too, grapes, satsumas, apples - also good for essential vitamins, really enjoy it and this is from someone who has not bought and eaten fruit for 30 years !

Do miss the taste of beer/cider and certain it's not a craving for alcohol, stands to reason given they were the mainstay of my diet I guess.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been drinking diet soda non-stop.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I always have Ice Tea by my side when I'm at home
and I've been sober for years.
I guess I just like to drink....
Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am constantly drinking coffee. It got so bad I was worried I was developing another addiction to caffeine. So now I alternative with decaf coffee and camomile tea.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patman View Post
It would be virtually impossible for a person to drink more coffee than I have the past 20 days.

Patman
Day 20
oh contraire Patman
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Yes, early in sobriety I was toting a bottle of COLD water around everywhere. It had to be really cold or I'd feel nauseous, that feeling finally went away after a few weeks though. After I was through the detox phase I was also all about coffee, diet soda, whatever I could get in me. Then came the sugar cravings to replace the alcohol. I ate a ton of jelly beans those first few weeks. lol
Old 12-30-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I was like that the first few weeks. I swear all I did was drink, sleep and occasionally cry hysterically
Old 12-30-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i agree with Orkney (where are the Orkney Islands)?

i felt so dehydrated....i'm one of those wierd people who "don't like" water....however i do like SmartWater, it has a very crisp fresh taste that appeals to me.

but when it is cold outside, I start the AM with about 6 cups of full octane coffee, then when i get to work it is nothing but herbal de-caff tea...it is extremely dry in my office, i feel parched all the time...I am a big fan of the Zinger teas...like to mix lemon and blueberry with some splenda and extra lemon juice.

when i first stopped drinking last winter i started carrying a box of tea bags with me...my portable beverage when visiting friends....everyone can give you a cup of hot water from the microwave.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i agree with Orkney (where are the Orkney Islands)?
A bit north of scotland :-)

Well glad to see that it's a problem common to everyone, question is what causes it ???
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FT

Anti-diuretic hormone

I'm surprised no one here mentioned ADH (anti-diuretic hormone).

This is not medical advice, which I am not qualified to give. ADH just happens to be something that the body produces when you drink alcohol. Alcohol suppresses the hormone (ADH) we make that helps us keep our water in balance, which is why you pee so much the first few hours of drinking. After awhile, the body is so screwed up with the alcohol, the function of the hormone is not as obvious.

After quitting alcohol, the balance shifts and may rebound.

Having said all that, when my husband and I quit drinking over 20 years ago, he never stopped the need to be imbibing something all the time. For him, it's morning coffee, then diet pop or water the rest of the day. Maybe it's an oral fixation. :rotfxko
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My brother in law gave me a "wine of the month club" subscription for Christmas. I just traded it in for a seltzer maker.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad to know I am not alone! I think oral fixation does play a part. With it being so cold, all I drink is hot beverages and it feels oh so good like a hot tub for my inside. Funny how when I was drinking alcohol, all I could think about was the next beer even while swallowing the one in my hand, now I do the same with tea. Must have something to do with the pleasure receptor valve being stuck open, eh?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Originally Posted by Maryjan View Post
My brother in law gave me a "wine of the month club" subscription for Christmas. I just traded it in for a seltzer maker.
Good trade in!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's not a bad thing. The more fluids you drink, the more poisons you wash from your body.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
I'm surprised no one here mentioned ADH (anti-diuretic hormone).

This is not medical advice, which I am not qualified to give. ADH just happens to be something that the body produces when you drink alcohol. Alcohol suppresses the hormone (ADH) we make that helps us keep our water in balance, which is why you pee so much the first few hours of drinking. After awhile, the body is so screwed up with the alcohol, the function of the hormone is not as obvious.

After quitting alcohol, the balance shifts and may rebound.

Having said all that, when my husband and I quit drinking over 20 years ago, he never stopped the need to be imbibing something all the time. For him, it's morning coffee, then diet pop or water the rest of the day. Maybe it's an oral fixation. :rotfxko
I have never heard this before???? thanks for the ADH info.

IDK, about your hubby??? but someone mentioned a sipping complex when you stop...that made sense to me...i always carried a wine glass in my hand now it's a 16 ounce glass mug with a giant handle for my tea.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Me too....drank tons the first couple months...the compulsion seems to have eased now...might need to make a conscious effort to drink more actually.