Notices

Hello, my name is.....

Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Melissa! I am on day two of sobriety. Wine is my poison as well, and I also have young children (4 and 7). Best of luck to you. Keep coming to the site...it has helped me a lot so far!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

you can do it pea

all good wishes to you
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome! Stay with us, and keep believing in yourself that you can change, and your life can get better. Stay positive, and surround yourself with people that will encourage you. You can do it!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hey Peanut....

As you learned when you quit during your pregnancy, quitting is one thing........STAYING sober is the key. Stopping forever, for good and for all, seemed like it was just "too big" of a task at first for me.....and it turns out it is for most ppl. As I'm sure you've read around hear a bit, if you're an alcoholic, getting involved in some sort of recovery program is highly recommended. Having an online sober persona is great, but true sobriety needs to be fun and needs to permeate all areas of your life for it to stick.

You've taken an important first step....starting to get honest with yourself about what's really going on in your life. From there, in recovery, we endeavor to incorporate changes into our lives that take us away from what we used to be and TO what we want to be. That transition can be unsettling, scary, and questionable.....hence my recommendation for some sort of face-to-face recovery program in addition to whatever else you find beneficial. Why not avail yourself of ALL the tools possible, right?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome Melissa! It can be a rocky road but not as treacherous as the one you're on! And you won't believe the difference in your mothering.

I drank at about the top end of that you're estimating and stopped 4 months ago. It gets easier! Really accepting that I can't drink again was key. Sometimes I still have to talk myself out of the loop.

I can't drink because...
- I won't be happy with just 2.
- I won't be happy if I drink 8 (which is what I would really want to drink).
- So I won't drink anything and the fact that I'm even having this discussion with myself shows that it's a very good thing that I'm not drinking. Normal people could take or leave alcohol.

Congratulations on a really great decision that you'll never regret! Keep coming here, reading and posting. It's a lifeline for a lot of us.