Notices

New here and just getting started

Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and just getting started

I am so happy to have found this forum. I need the support and this looks like a great place to find it. I am a 42 year old married mom of two. I don't even know where to begin, but I will give the short of it. I drink a bottle of wine per night 4-5 times per week, and had been on and off for the past 7 years. It didn't start out with that much, but of course has gotten to that point. I did slow down after a health scare in October when I was having pain in the ribcage area and found out I have fatty liver. All liver functions were normal thankfully, but I was sure that would scare me enough to get healthy and at least slow down. It didn't last long. I would start with just having a couple glasses here and there, and now I am right back to where I was.

The reason I am posting now is because I have had enough. While coming home on Christmas Eve, my husband driving, he had to pull over so I could get sick. My two kids were in the back seat and had to witness this. Not the first time. Luckily I was able to enjoy them opening their presents on Christmas Day, but spent the remainder of the day in bed and vomiting. I never felt like such a loser mom. So now I start day three of this recovery and I feel ready.

I am concerned about withdrawal symptoms. Is there somewhere else I should post about that? I am scared. Thank you to all that read this.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! Newcomers is a good place to start as this forum gets a lot of traffic. There's a 'sticky' in the alcoholism forum that gives our experiences at quitting, what we went thru and how we felt.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I found that the physical withdrawal lasted a few days to a week. If you have any concerns or are feeling badly, please see a doctor for help in getting safely thru w/d.

There are many paths to recovery; AA or other programs, counseling, and this wonderful site. Whatever you choose, put all your effort into it and you'll be rewarded. I quit drinking for good a year ago and, aside from the first couple months being 'up and down', I've never felt better in my life.

I wish you all the best. Sober living really rocks!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maisy, I am also a mom of 2, and quit a week ago when I blacked out at the end of a night, and don't remember putting my kids to bed. I am having a hard time, but I am sober, and I'm going to stay that way. The shame I felt a week ago will carry me, I hope. I think it's so hard to manage the stressful days with kids without have a glass or 2 at the end of the day. I don't know how I will handle that. I am planning to go to AA when I get home from the holidays. Anyway, we know how you feel. You are welcome here. We can do this.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. Many of us have been where you are and have gotten better. Read through a lot of posts. If you are concerned about withdrawl, it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor. I know I did when starting this. I was completely honest with her and she helped me tremendously.

Hang in there. I'm glad you are taking the first step towards the "new you". Just know, that you never have to get sick like that in front of your kids again. We break free from the alcohol trap. I takes time and a lot of work, but think of how much time and work you put into your drinking.

One day at a time!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Maisy - So glad you're making this decision. I remember how scary it was to make that first post and how I couldn't imagine not having alcohol in my life. But I kept hanging in there and after 6 months sober, I can't imagine going back to drinking.

Sobriety does seem strange at first (I hung out here constantly for support and to get through the urges), and it takes time for our brains/bodies to find a balance. Just take it a day at a time and get whatever added help/support you can. You're not a "loser mom" and neither was I - I just needed help/recovery to deal with addiction.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Maisy! You have our support and I want to say way to go on Day 3.

Seems like you have seen the progression and the insanity that goes along with our drinking. I too would get some sober time or cut back but these things never lasted long and I was right back where I started.

Even when my health was deteriorating and things were crumbling around me .....I still kept on drinking.

When I said enough is when I got into recovery and threw every stereotype and bit of nonsense out and said....I need help doing this.....I need help learning to live again.

Everyone will have a different mix of withdrawals and so forth and how they went about detoxing. You have a good link above that Least gave and I can tell you that the best thing is to consult with your Dr. Have a work up done and keep them in the loop. At the very least if anything concerns you then you make a beeline to the ER.

Looking forward to the journey. Stay the course and begin to think about what options you may want to use in your recovery.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Maisy

You'll find a lot of support here - and yeah I had a hard last detox so I always recommend people see a Dr when they quit - for most people detox is fine, but it's best to get a professional opinion and be safe

D
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maisy, check out class of December group in Newcomers Daily Threads. We all started to try a new life this month...join us?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome Maisy
Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate. I don't have kids, but I remember my sister having to drive me out to my mother in laws house, and we had to pull over because I was puking. Also not the first time. I felt like such a loser.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

We have many members who are winning over alcohol
Glad to see you here with us
Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maryjan View Post
Maisy, check out class of December group in Newcomers Daily Threads. We all started to try a new life this month...join us?
I will do that!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Having to pull the car over and vomit in front of you kids would suck. For me the guilt and shame would be awful. The good news is that you don't ever have to do that again. As other's have suggested see a Doctor first. Then get a program of recovery, like many others I tried to do that by myself for years and it never worked. Now I'm in AA and that has made a difference for me.