Notices

First day off painkillers

Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day off painkillers

Hello all, I had been taking handfuls of perks, vikes and whatever else I could get my hands on for 2 years. I finally got the courage to see a Suboxone doctor and today is my first day on them. They really do help with the withdrawals. And I just feel great that I will no longer have to wake up and wonder how I'm gonna feed my addiction. They controlled me so long I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'll get there. Thanks for listening and good luck to all!! It can be done!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulatiuons on your decision Imdone.
Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks

Thank you and if you or anyone has any tips or words of advice I'm all ears. Like most people I had to hit rock bottom to get to this point, but at least I'm still here.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Imdone! I think you did the first part which is deciding to quit and talking to your Dr. Now, get a support system. Whether it's NA, some other f2f group, SR, or some combination, get some support.

Keep us posted!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Hang in there, it gets better a day at a time, and like ghostly said, check out a 12 step program. You may find something you like there
Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! Glad to hear that you've taken the first step (getting help with the subs) but agree with the above...support of other RA's (recovering addicts/alcoholics) is a huge help.

I'm a recovering crack addict. I could put the stuff down (just as I had the opiates before it and the alcohol before THAT), but couldn't get to the point where I was okay with it, actually wanted a life clean, until I found the support here and some f2f people.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very helpful

Thank you all for your advice and support, it makes this process easier. I am still clean and loving life again. I haven't gone to a support group yet but will look into it. I came clean to my family and they have been very supportive. Also my cousin actually had the same addiction as me, so we quit together and talk several times a day to lean on each other. And I know this last part might not be for everyone and I'm certainly not a preacher but I have started going back to church and pray everynight and read passages from psalms. Again, that's just me, it's nice thinking someone upstairs just might be rooting for me. Thanks again everyone and I'll keep posting my progress. Good luck and hope the best for all of you!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you hear you're still doing well Imdone
D
Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well!

I did not go back to church, but I definitely needed to re-connect to my spiritual self. And, that's been amazing!