Notices

How long does it take to get addicted?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does it take to get addicted?

Hi Gang,

New guy, 60 years old and my VA doc put me on Lorazepam just a few weeks ago (11/29) Id called complaining of a weird anxiety attack (Id never had one before) She prescribed Lor at 1mg 2x/day. I did that for 2 days. Way too much so I cut the dose in half. I stayed at 1/2 mg 2x/day for the next 7 days until I had my appt with the VA psychologist. After talking with him we came to the conclusion I could taper off. So my idea of a taper was to cut down to a 1/4 pill 2x/day for 1 day and the following day I cut to 0. This was day 11. The following day I had a party to go to with a new girlfriend. I was nervous and it was our first night together. Id also been prescribed some ED drug (Vardenfil) That evening I took another 1/4 Loraz (just because I was worried about getting stressed at the party) when we got back to her place I took the recommended 10mg of the "fun" pill. Well it didnt really work. So after an hour passed I took another 10mg. Well without going into detail I think I poisoned myself by taking too much. I had a horrible headache all night long. I couldnt sleep. The girlfriend offered up a half a vicodin to help me sleep. I took that and slept a couple hours but awoke feeling horrible. I drove home that morning (80 miles) and was really stressed and felt like I was gonna pass out off an on the entire way. I started to wonder if I was going thru withdrawals from the Loraz or if it was posioning or lack of sleep. Or some combination. When I got home I took a half a Loraz. The following day I upped it back to 3/4 of a pill for the entire day. For the next 4 days I would vary taking as much as 1mg total one day and as little as 1/2 mg total per day. Then for 3 days I cut down and stayed at 1/4 pill 2x a day for 3 days. Yesterday morning (monday 12/20) I took my 1/4 pill but in the evening I decided to not take anymore and see how I did. Well at bedtime I took 1000mg of Tylenol because I had the beginnings of a head ache and that helped I think. I did manage to sleep, not great but I did sleep. I awoke this morning light headed and a bit foggy. Its been a total of 21 days today since I started this. My original prescription was 20 ea 1 mg tablets and I still have 2 and 3/4 pills left. So I have in that 21 days consumed 17 1/4 mg (if my math is correct) All thru this short ordeal Ive felt as if the side effects are worse than my original complaint. Most days I wonder if Im feeling the side effects, withdrawal effects or my "problem" leaking thru. I feel the only way to find out is to cut out one of the contributors and that would be the Loraz. So are you all laughing now? My questions are: Have I taken enough and or been on this long enough to have a problem that will require some sort of long term taper? And while I realize everyone is different do any of you have any idea how long (days) it will take to get clean? Note: I am a sober alcoholic (31 years) and an ex drug user (well not quite ex, I do puff a little herb now and then) so I do have that personality. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I hope all of you (Ive read quite a few of your stories (WOW) have sucess in your getting off this posion. -Trexx, Temecula, CA
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Trexx - all good questions, but you might want to talk to a doctor (or maybe pharmacist) to get answers like that. And you're right about everyone being different in their reaction to medications, so even the docs and drug experts can't always tell what's going to happen in your case.

Good luck - I hope your problem resolves soon!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You definitely HAVE TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS. You are playing with dynamite!!!!!

We cannot give medical advice, and yes, every medication gives different reactions to different folks.

I would say it was time for a SERIOUS talk with your doctor.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies. In the past two weeks Ive called to talk to the dr. two times. Each time they take messages and give them to the dr. Thats the way the VA system seems to work. A day or two later I get a call back from a nurse. Its pretty frustrating. I do have an appointment this coming thursday as she (dr.) wants to do some blood work on me. I'll call again today and see if she will see me after I get out of the lab. I'll try telling the receptionist that I need to talk with the dr about tapering off this stuff ASAP.

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not into pills but got addicted to drinking wine within a few months, so yeah, addiction can happen quicker than you'd think.

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

since you asked for any info

"Any info would be greatly appreciated. "

please don't drive 80 miles when you feel like you are going to pass out. What if you did and killed someone. Maybe next time you could wait till you sober up before driving a car. Thanx.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still trying to figure it out

You can get addicted to pills within 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Trexx, back in the day I became addicted to "diet pills" (not sure what they actually were) in a matter of days. When I tried to stop I shook and cried - so I know you can become addicted quickly. Glad you plan to get professional help. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drent View Post
since you asked for any info

"Any info would be greatly appreciated. "

please don't drive 80 miles when you feel like you are going to pass out. What if you did and killed someone. Maybe next time you could wait till you sober up before driving a car. Thanx.
Yes I know better. That was incredibly stupid of me. I was already on the road before I noticed a problem (but thats no excuse either) and as Im sure you know the mind keeps telling you that you'll be ok. Much like a drunk person.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

called the VA today and asked if I could speak with the Dr when I came in for my blood work. Was asked what I wanted to talk to her about. I mentioned getting off of this stuf and was asked "why, what problems are you having etc" a note was taken down and I was told the Dr could discuss this over the phone and Id hear from her in a day or two.

Your tax dollars at work I made it 26 hrs and finally gave in and took another 1/4 mg this morning. Maybe I can do better today/tomorrow
Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by Trexx View Post
All thru this short ordeal Ive felt as if the side effects are worse than my original complaint.
Originally Posted by Trexx View Post
I made it 26 hrs and finally gave in and took another 1/4 mg this morning.
Trexx, that sounds like the beginnings of addiction to me. Be sure to be detailed in speaking with your doctor about those side effects, benzos are a very tricky class of medication.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Trexx glad you are here and keep working on the VA to get you in to get you on a plan here.

What you do know is that you are concerned about it....you are sharing here with folks who understand and you have had some neg. physical reaction to the meds.

Wish you well and please keep pushing with the Drs. I have been overseas with the military docs (dependent spouse here) and I can tell you it was like pulling teeth to get any help with alcoholism. Finally I did but I had to keep banging down doors so please stay the course.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Trexx
I definitely agree you need some professional advice.

Let us know how your appointment goes.
D
Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Right after I started taking the Lorazepam I complained to a friend. She had a boyfriend that is a drug rep and he told her to tell me to ask to be put on Klonopin, that it had less side effects. So I called the VA and asked. Today in the mail I get a package, 60 ea 0.5 mg tablets o Clonazepam. Thats generic for Klonopin right? Im not going to take any of them until I talk to her first. I feel Ive already dug a deep hole, I dont need a bigger shovel.

Thanks again for all the support.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Addiction happens after you don't know it happened!!! I hate that part of it. Please let us know how you are..
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really urge you to actually speak to someone - go outside the VA if you need to - it's that important I think.

Clonazepam. Thats generic for Klonopin right?
Yes. Good for you for waiting to see your Dr tho
D
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow. Trying to keep track of all this...It sounds like you tapered off to zero. But then you took it upon yourself to start up again without discussing it with your doctor and added other things to the mix. In my opinion, this is why you were feeling crappy.

I hope you get somewhere with your current MD, I would also suggest going outside the VA if it is really taking that long to get answers. When you leave the doctor, make sure you have clear instructions on how to take your medications and stick to those instructions. Make sure the doctor knows all other meds you are taking including those over the counter or not prescribed to you. There are all kinds of interactions that can take place.

Best of luck.

And to answer your question, you can get addicted pretty quickly. I agree with whoever said you are playing with dynamite! Maybe some counseling could help with your anxiety as well?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Trexx I just saw your update and I maintain my input on staying with VA and getting their help on this. Not sure who or what sent you meds in the mail but it vibes unhealthy to me. Glad you aren't taking them!

What I found with my alcoholism is that it opened doors to replacing one addiction with another. Thats why I just quit and am very much my own advocate with drs on meds, etc.

Keep with professional channels. Looking forward to seeing how it goes with the Dr.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kmber2010 View Post
Trexx I just saw your update and I maintain my input on staying with VA and getting their help on this. Not sure who or what sent you meds in the mail but it vibes unhealthy to me. Glad you aren't taking them!

What I found with my alcoholism is that it opened doors to replacing one addiction with another. Thats why I just quit and am very much my own advocate with drs on meds, etc.

Keep with professional channels. Looking forward to seeing how it goes with the Dr.

Kim,

It was my doctor at the VA that sent the drugs. They come directly from the Pharmacy at the local VA hospital. I had to go to the post office and sign for them.

Didnt here from the dr. yesterday but was told Id hear from her yesterday or today.

Thanks again "everyone" for all the input and support.

I'll update after I talk with the doc.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Can't really say how long because it varies. I read somewhere it takes (on average) between 2 and 60 years. Soooo, pretty much anytime. For me it went it waves. I was hooked pretty good from 17 - 20. Took a little break. Drank pretty heavily (party form, not so much alone) from 23 - 28. Took another break, started back at 30 and hit it REALLY HARD. I had been drinking very hard for the past 5 years.

Not anymore. Booze can open up a huge can of go F itself! LoL... I have found recovery and just try and stay sober one day at a time. Best of luck to all!!!!