Notices

The power of 'one day at a time'...

Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The power of 'one day at a time'...

I think the power of living in the philosophy of 'one day at a time' cannot be underestimated for my recovery. Just thinking about back to when I was back at university the first time when 18 and then the following years until I got sober at 23 then my thinking was always 'projecting' around and causing me much confusion and unnecessary stress and loss of perspective.

I have been feeling very calm over the last few days and I know this is because of my ability to live in the present moment. Particularly around this time of year then this 'tool' that I've learned in recovery is so beneficial. My recovery is about feeling how I like to feel with all of the rewards of decent recovery and also managing my mental health. Living 'one day at a time' is fundamental to my continued recovery and I am so grateful for being able to apply this philosophy to my life and seeing it work.

Also I found the related 'just for today' philosophy incredibly useful in making the reality of accepting myself as an alcoholic who doesn't take the first drink seem bearable and also believable, particualrly living in England where binge-drinking and getting wrecked is a national sport and where all of my peers drink. This was essential in the early weeks and months and it's always comforting to know that if times get really tough then don't pick up 'just for today'.

I cannot thank SR and also AA enough, but especially SR, for introducing me to 'one day at a time'. It has helped my mental health and wellbeing so much and it's very comforting, particualrly if my mental health is bothering me more than usual, as it may be prone to do at this time of year.

There is an awful lot more to recovery than just living 'one day at a time' and truly embracing the moment but it sure does lay a solid foundation.

Peace
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most definitely.

One of the immediate benefits is less anxiety about the future. When I'm living just for today, my days become more full - I find new opportunities, meet new people, go in new directions, etc. It's so much newness that my predictive model goes boom, making expectations sort of useless. It's living without trying to fit into a mold. It's about just doing the next right thing and letting things take their course. And if that's not faith, I don't know what is.

Random ramblings on a Tuesday afternoon...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm trying to emulate my dogs. They live in the present and don't regret yesterday or fear tomorrow. And since we only get to live one day at a time it just makes sense to live in the moment since this moment is all we have right now.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I was coming on to post about struggling badly on this run-up to Christmas - wondering if anyone else was finding it a struggle?

Christmas is 10 days away so why I am I thinking about it when all I need to deal with is today!! Piece of cake (ish lol). Well, much easier than trying to plan out the next few weeks.

My wife keeps saying "go on your web-site, read some and post some". As a non-meeting go'er this is good advice. I need to hear it from others going through the same.

Nice one Neo for hitting the spot.

More of the same, eh?

Stu.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The thing about living 'one day at a time' as well is that it enables you to savour the good-feelings/moments/snippets and deal with whatever else comes, when it comes, rather than trying to second guess yourself and likely guessing wrong! ie- just creating a racing mind and unneccessary stress and anxiety.

I have felt great today and I've just been chatting about this and it's another reason that for me living in the moment is so beneficial. It's hard to describe but I can suddenly feel like a fog has lifted and I ain't suffering so much with negative intrusive thoughts and I'm just so damn grateful! I cannot help but feel grateful when my mental health picks up and I can feel the depression lift. Nothing has actually changed but it's like I am able to perceive myself so much more confidently and positively and I have a massive awesome feeling of hope and that I can really achieve stuff.

It's a great feeling and I guess I can only appreciate it because I can relate to how I can also feel when my mental health is bugging me and casusing me upset. I try to not let it upset me and keep it in the day and work through it with 'tools' that I have gained from SR, AA and mental health on NHS and I guess it makes me a stronger person.

I love feeling like this and it's only possible because I am sober and in active recovery. I can manage my mental health and to be honest I'm sure that as my recovery progresses then it will resolve itself naturally too, which is great.

For me being sober and in recovery allows me to keep my head above water and interact with people confidently and positively and actually play the game and the system rather than falling off and into mental chaos.

Peace
Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had a hard time in the past with the whole "not drinking forever". Wow, talk about anxiety. Since I've started living life one day at a time I feel so much better. Every night I thank God for another day of sobriety and ask him to give me one more sober day. I never ask for forever. Since I've started this I've earned 44 days of sobriety and it has been easier than I had blown it up to be.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more. Well I was still drinking I could remember a friend of mine, who is a recovering addict, talk about 1 day at a time. I never understood this philosophy until I quit drinking. I feel that this concept has been key in my recovery. Every time I want a drink, I tell myself that I only have to not drink today, and then I deal with tomorrow, when it arrives.