Notices

Losing It All

Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We are pros at breaking promises to ourselves and others for that matter. I feel your desperation as I've experienced it many times. Feeling pathetic and miserable at not being able to stick with the decision not to drink. I remember it well. You can do this GabC! You take it one hour, one day at a time. Keep very busy. Find some support. Someone you can call, go to meetings, anything not to drink that first drink. I promise you the positives so outweigh the negatives.
Many of us here never thought we could do it either. With help and support it IS possible.
My Best To You
Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Glad you are here. You CAN do this. Stick close to SR.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey man. I'm from England but used to hang around with a couple of scotts, one being from Glasgow, so I'm well aware of the drinking abilities of the Scottish! ha-ha.

I'm an alcoholic. I would imagine there are loads of AA meetings in Glasgow. I know a few Scottish people at the AA meetings I attend.

I got sober at 23 and will have 17 months sober on 8th December. It's a 'one day at a time' deal for this alkie. I have tried to keep moving forwards positively 'one day at a time' and made sure that i never picked that first drink up 'just for today'. The first drink is the only drink that you need to make sure you never take and that's 'just for today'. Then you will never get drunk ever again!

Sounds simple, but I couldn't manage it without support and a recovery program to actively live my life by. I use AA, SR and much wisdom from elsewhere too.

I think the crucial thing for me is recognising that alcoholism is a 'thinking' problem and so my thinking had to profoundly changed or else I'd just pick up again when I felt better or whatever.

All The Best, peace
Old 12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GabC View Post
Just reading all the replies this morning with a clear head, and just want to thank you all for your kind words. This IS day 1.
Power to your elbow GabC. I'm so glad you're back and ready for the day.

Stock up with soft drinks and have a good day.

Deg.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I ended up drinking again yesterday, though only because I was feeling very anxious (what I call 'the fear'). I drank half a bottle of whisky over about seven hours. Normally I would tan it in around two.

I woke up this morning and felt 'the fear' once again, but it was much less than yesterday and has now subsided. There is an AA meeting not far from me tonight, which I shall attend.

Thanks again to all for your comments and support.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, since you asked for advice, I would say that drinking to remove the fear will not work and will back-fire. For me, my anxiety increased considerably.

There are healthy ways to deal with fear and anxiety and you can learn way to manage your life. Meditation works well, as does exercise, listening to good music, bonding with your pet - there are lots of good options as far as calming yourself.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I ended up drinking again yesterday, though only because I was feeling very anxious (what I call 'the fear'). I drank half a bottle of whisky over about seven hours. Normally I would tan it in around two.

I woke up this morning and felt 'the fear' once again, but it was much less than yesterday and has now subsided. There is an AA meeting not far from me tonight, which I shall attend.

Thanks again to all for your comments and support.
"The fear" was used a lot by my drinking buddies back when i was binge drinking...all we knew is that the day after the heavy night out we would be anxious and jittery so thats why it is called "the fear"...i know a few non-alcoholics who will have a drink the next morning after their special occasion night out to calm themselves down a bit the next day, just one specifically for that...which is quite funny too as i am an alcoholic and have never had a morning drink and they are not but have?!

Anyways you know what to do now to recover from alcoholism so its up to you:-)

That some serious "time management" you did there with your half bottle of whisky...anyone would think you were sick and self medicating...oh yeah you are and are;-)

Get to that meeting and ask for help!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Well, since you asked for advice, I would say that drinking to remove the fear will not work and will back-fire. For me, my anxiety increased considerably.

There are healthy ways to deal with fear and anxiety and you can learn way to manage your life. Meditation works well, as does exercise, listening to good music, bonding with your pet - there are lots of good options as far as calming yourself.
I haven't drunk today, Anna, despite experiencing 'the fear' though to a lesser degree. Yesterday's was simply unbearable, and I drank slowly just to get over the withdrawal.

What I have found previously is that 'the fear' subsides over a period of several days to a week. As you say, drinking simply perpetuates it. But yesterday I was anxious, jittery and had a fast pulse.

I sweated a lot last night, which always happens when I stop, too.

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
"The fear" was used a lot by my drinking buddies back when i was binge drinking...all we knew is that the day after the heavy night out we would be anxious and jittery so thats why it is called "the fear"...i know a few non-alcoholics who will have a drink the next morning after their special occasion night out to calm themselves down a bit the next day, just one specifically for that...which is quite funny too as i am an alcoholic and have never had a morning drink and they are not but have?!

Anyways you know what to do now to recover from alcoholism so its up to you:-)

That some serious "time management" you did there with your half bottle of whisky...anyone would think you were sick and self medicating...oh yeah you are and are;-)

Get to that meeting and ask for help!
Thanks, I will.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi GabC -

There is a normal progression for us alcoholics ..

Fear to Anger to Resentment to Self-Pity to Drink.

We do this all the time and struggle to break the cycle.

Notice that you have recognized "fear" as something that triggers you to drink. So, can you develop a different coping mechanism for dealing with that fear. As Neo said in a recent post, this is a "thinking" problem not a drinking problem.

Early in sobriety, it is really hard to develop these coping skills without reaching out and getting help. For me, I used AA; but there are many other programs of recovery as well.

Relapse is just you learning another thing that doesn't work. Don't get upset, just take action to break the cycle.

Welcome. Keep posting and reading SR. Give AA or SMART or another program a try. You've got nothing to lose by trying.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just dropped in to thank everyone for their advice and an update.

I didn't do very well, and with the temptation of Christmas and New Year just tried to moderate my drinking, as I thought it was too big a deal to try to quit when everybody I know is indulging.

However, I attended my first AA meeting last night, and this is day 8! Last night strengthened my will, and if anybody else is in my predicament I strongly advise you to go to a meeting. I have another one tomorrow.

I have flu-like symptoms at the moment, and have been sweating a lot, but apparently that's quite normal and is a sign of detox.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Gabc..Good luck on your road to recovery
Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Gab, glad to hear you're making a run at meetings. I took a sober cake at the Bonhill group, good bunch of folk. Also made a really lively book study in Glasgow, can't remember which part of town that was in.

Did some meetings around Loch Lomond and up around Aberdeenshire...have to say the AA in Scotland is first class. Go 15 minutes early, shake some hands and let them know you're new. They'll take it from there.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on day 8! That's a great start on a better sober life. Most of the physical withdrawal symptoms should be done by now, but if you are feeling badly please get medical help. The sweating is a part of detox. Your body is getting rid of the toxins and sweating is one way to do it. Be prepared for some ups and downs the first few weeks/months. It takes the body and brain a while to readjust to normal functioning. Keep as healthy as possible; good food and exercise help too.

I hope you can find the way you need to stay sober. I have a bit over a year now and it's the best I've felt in a long time.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Gab,

I was away for a bit when you first posted. Glad you are going to a meeting. In the Big Book it talks a lot about fear. It's at the root of a lot of alcoholism.

Do you have a sponsor? Have you started working the Steps? The AA program promises that working the Steps will help you to conquer the fear.

Hugs, glad you're still on the road.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Again, thanks for your replies, folks.

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Do you have a sponsor? Have you started working the Steps? The AA program promises that working the Steps will help you to conquer the fear.
The fear has subsided now, thankfully. I just feel physically fatigued and I have had flu-like symptoms, as I say, which is apparently quite normal. I'm going to buy some vitamin tablets tomorrow - including vitamin b!

Overall, I'm optimistic. I really feel that I will succeed this time, and life will be all the better for it. I understand that it's up to me, and that avoiding the first drink is the key to success.

God Bless.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR GabC, great advice here, how baout going to a detox or least a visit to a Dr and tell them exadtly whats going on. AA is a great start, but we need to ask for and take all the help we can get at the beiginning of this journey.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Again, thanks for your replies, folks.

The fear has subsided now, thankfully. I just feel physically fatigued and I have had flu-like symptoms, as I say, which is apparently quite normal. I'm going to buy some vitamin tablets tomorrow - including vitamin b!

Overall, I'm optimistic. I really feel that I will succeed this time, and life will be all the better for it. I understand that it's up to me, and that avoiding the first drink is the key to success.

God Bless.
Gab,
Those first twelve days I experienced really similiar physical withdrawal symptoms.
Congrats on your early sobriety !!

I ended up getting some vitamins and some grapefruit, along with some other fruit to help with my beat-up immune system. Seemed to help.

You hang tough, ....things will start getting better soon,
......and a hell of a lot better as time goes by

One day at a Time.

Welcome to SR, this place saved my ass the past 9 months.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Gab - Congratulations on 8 days - that's awesome! Keep taking it one day at a time and try not to overwhelm yourself. I had some insomnia, tiredness and quite an appetite those first few weeks. It will get better, though.

Stay strong!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

(((Gabc))) - welcome to SR, and congrats on day 8!!!

Alcohol is not my DOC (drug of choice), crack is but before that I abused opiates. I lost a nursing career from that, figured I'd really messed up my life, and hooked up with a guy who introduced me to crack. I became a streetwalking, homeless crack addict.

That was almost 4 years ago. I'd lurked on SR for over a year, finally joined when I had 6 months in recovery. The support, encouragement, advice, etc. here has been invaluable.

I've been through some rough times in recovery, but it's only made me stronger. We can, and we do recover, when we make it a priority. I'm glad you're here

Hugs and prayers,

Amy