Notices

ok....here goes, finally!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ok....here goes, finally!

I am not new to this site. I have been lurking for quite a long time. I have been so afraid and reluctant to post. I am a 48 year old woman that quit drinking 22 years ago. During that time I did not drink anything, not one drop. My husband (whom I thought wasn't drinking as well) had a mid life crisis (blah...blah...blah..). I found out that he has been drinking and hiding it very well (we work different shifts). He had been hiding lots of things (very hurtful and hard to overcome). After I knew all the details of what he was actually hiding I decided to join him with the drinking (stupid and an excuse). Now I have a problem. I know that drinking is not what I want. I know that drinking is not good for me. I know I want more. I keep trying and I keep relapsing at about 10 days. No AA (did that the first time) around here now. Anyway, I admire so many people on this site and know exactly how hard it is. I just feel lost. So...there it is...I am weak and struggling with no sobriety date to put in my profile.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sara
Welcome to the posting side of SR

I know you'll find a lot of help and support here. Do see your Dr if you've been drinking for a while as detox can sometimes be tricky.

I found it useful at the start to try and focus on one day at a time. I made a commitment every day not to drink, and then remade that commitment the next day too.

I think that's a good place to start, after the doctor.

I have nearly 4 years sobriety now - it's been a lot of work but it's been more than worth it

Look forward to seeing you around
D
Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sara, you're not weak, you have a disease. Alcholism isn't a character defect.

You have 22 years of sobriety behind you and you can get through this. I also relapsed often, at a 3-day mark, and at a 7-day mark. Finally I realized that I had to believe that I deserved a good life. And, you do too.

We're here to offer support and please know that you are not alone.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the posting side of SR

As you know from reading....there are many ways to
quit drinking and live sober.

You might want to begin by having an honest talk with
your doctor about how to de tox safely.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Sara))

Lots of serial quitters here, you're not alone.

22 years of sobriety is awesome, give yourself credit for that.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! I know how scary that first post is - but I think you'll feel comfortable here, and it's so nice to know we're not going through all this alone.

I had a couple 4+ year periods of sobriety and was amazed that I could get back to that helpless place again after going back to drinking. I really thought I wouldn't allow myself to get there again. But obviously, we all do if we keep picking that drink up.

The anxiety and emotional part of it was the worst for me. I thought it was the reason I drank, but after a bit of sobriety I realized that the alcohol was creating most all of it.

We're here for you, so make yourself at home!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. It was very difficult for me to write that first post. It is nice to know that people care.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

(((((Sara))))) Of course we care! Many of us are just like you! I haven't had a drink in almost seven years, but relapsed on pot about 3 years ago. It has been a struggle, but I know I can do it if I am willing to ask for and receive help. And you can, too!

Keep posting and hang in there!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Sara))) - welcome to SR!!

I, too, lurked for quite a while before I ever posted the first time. The support and (ES&H) here is awesome, and it reminds me I'm not alone.

Keep reading and posting....we're here for you!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-27-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sarah, look, here's the deal - I'm your age btw - and for what its worth, same story, different names. But I want you to hear this LOUD AND CLEAR
I've been flirting with disaster for nearly a year now and 1 1/2 weeks ago my luck ran out. Totaled vehicle, jail, lost job - with the inability to re-enter my field, heightened stress with family relationships, loss of people who have given up on me. These, , just a few of my consequences. If for no other reason, please hear my account and know that you'll be there in time, same story, different name. You've been around long enough to know that's just how it works. you want it, but you don't, you mean to stop, but you don't - and at the end of the day - WHY WOULD YOU ???? You've not hit that painful low................yet. Please, as you peruse this site and hear stories equal to or worse than mine, know that this is there for the cyclic relapser. Its only a matter of time.
Meanwhile, this is my experience only, I could not, even with my recent wreckage, do this without AA, with out working this program. My prayer is that you are hearing me, otherwise you'll be back with your own tragic ending........................or, maybe you won't