Notices

How do you do an AA Meeting?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Pascal I had a lot of the same concerns. That was a little over a week ago. I went to my first meeting on 11-9 and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.
Its true that the people are very welcoming and its way more comfortable than I thought it would be. If you try it, you won't be sorry.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This thread is so exciting!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
At speaker mtgs I've been to, especially the bigger ones, they don't necessarily go around the room for introductions.
This has been my experience as well. The only meeting that I have been to that goes around the room for introductions is an official Beginners Meeting. Also, the Beginners Meeting that I go to every once in a while is more of a discussion about what AA is and isn't, what a sponsor does, how to go about finding a sponsor, and any other questions that might come up within the group. It's usually a pretty small group. There is "cross talk" and more of a group conversation with a facilitator rather than a traditional topic discussion, etc meeting.

Around here, if the schedule's description of a meeting doesn't specifically say that it's a Beginners Meeting, then there are no introductions - just the voluntary ones if people choose to introduce themselves. I like going to the Beginners Meeting every once in a while because I always learn something new! I have even been able to answer questions for newcomers even though I am still a newcomer myself (5 months today - woot!)

So simple!! Thank goodness.