Notices

Am I an alcoholic?

Old 11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by PureMich View Post
Hi DayTrader,
I usually don't crave or want more--one drink is enough. However, if I feel uncomfortable or self conscious (~5% of the time I drink), I do lose control over my drinking. Embarassingly enough, I go into these situations wanting to get drunk so I can more easily talk to others. And once I get drunk, I have little control over myself. It also doesn't take much for me to blackout these days either.
OK, so less than 5% of the time you lose control....so you can't always control it once you start. Non-alcoholics can always control the amount they drink on an ongoing basis. They may lose control a couple/handful of times but once they see what happens when they over-drink.....they just don't do that again.

What about the other question? When you decide to stop, can/have/are you able to stick to staying stopped? Have you tried to stop? What was your experience with it? Again, like the question above, non-alcoholics can always stay stopped when they choose to. They haven't lost the ability to choose when and how much they drink.