Notices

Profound Changes, 11 months

Old 11-08-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Profound Changes, 11 months

I got sober last December. My last drunk was a 2nd offense DUI, I was sleeping in my car parked. I have not had a drink since then. I barely ate or slept for a week and a half. I went through some terrible anxiety and stress dealing with detox and legal crap.

I began attending AA. I went at least once a day for 3-4 months or so. Often I went a few times a day if I could. It helped me a lot. I got a sponsor, but then he moved to Long Island.

My plans changed, I re-upped for another year at school to do pre-requisites for grad school. I went to court. I got put on house arrest. I am dealing with the consequences of my actions. I am wearing an anklet as I type this. MY sentence is almost over, the anklet comes off in 6 days.

Since becoming sober I have:
Gotten into a much better relationship with my family. I live at home now and we all work together to help each other out more so than ever before. It is nice not being a hungover crabass all the time.

Done better at work. I kick butt at my job now. No more hungover mornings.

I am stronger in my faith. 'Nuff said.

I quit smoking cigarettes September 16th. Almost 2 months smoke free now.

Lost weight. 30 pounds or so now. That is with muscle mass I have also built.

Been training to compete in triathlons. Not spending my money on garbage I bought a nice road bike. I also have plenty of time to run, swim, lift weights seeing as I'm not getting messed up all the time now.

I feel better about myself and my life than ever before, in spite of my present legal situation.

This is me before when I was a drunk. Fat, sloppy, drunk.

This is me now. Sober.

The pictures speak for themselves. I have never been as happy or optimistic about life as I am now. Sobriety is awesome. And personally I lost some "friends" but I still hang out with real ones. I even go to some parties on occasion as long as I know some sober folks will be there. Instead of drinking I hang out, play cards, play my banjo, and talk to pretty girls instead of embarrassing myself.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Omg...a picture says a thousand words. Congrats on 11 months and all the healthy changes. Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great story, thank for sharing your story of success. Congrats on your 11 months. The pictures are priceless.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ne!
I can so admire your post. So many people are afraid to even go to an AA meeting or tell anybody they are not drinking, they are fearful and let that govern their actions. You post your pics and don't worry. Like LaFemme said a picture is worth a thousand words. All I can say is Bravo!

But not nearly as impactful as with the concise and clear post that goes along with it.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 11 months NEJeeper
Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats my man, thats huge! The bike and my training really keeps me on the straight and narrow. Gives me structure, goals and a great sense of worth. Being drunk has nothing on a century bike ride. Good luck with the tri, it wont be anything compared to what you have already accomplished.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, what an inspiration. Thanks for sharing. You should be so proud of yourself.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ne you have inspired me. And I am a lot older than you. So much so that I had to go back and read your early posts back when you only had a couple of weeks then when you had a month or so and on. Since I wasn't here then or sober, I had to see if you went through any issues like the rest of us and found to my delight that you did. You aren't super sober man!

You went through the same trials we do and will. You just settled down to the work and would not deviate from the goal. And it looks like I need to get off my dead axe and get back into the gym. Among other things.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back NEJ
congratulations on your progress

D
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Ne you have inspired me. And I am a lot older than you. So much so that I had to go back and read your early posts back when you only had a couple of weeks then when you had a month or so and on. Since I wasn't here then or sober, I had to see if you went through any issues like the rest of us and found to my delight that you did. You aren't super sober man!

You went through the same trials we do and will. You just settled down to the work and would not deviate from the goal. And it looks like I need to get off my dead axe and get back into the gym. Among other things.
No I am not super sober man. I went through a lot of crap to get where I am. I remember being on my motorcycle at 120 mph and there was no excitement because for a brief period I did not care much about living or dying. Part of the excitement of riding motorcycles is the thrill of putting your butt on the line. When I realized I was so indifferent regarding my own life I decided to get help.

And yes I was riding my Suzuki in the winter, it happens.

I couldn't eat, I had a few anxiety episodes, life generally sucked for a little while. Now I am training for tri's and I learned a saying a lot of folks have for times like that HTFU. But we all need help.

Cigarettes were a huge crutch for a while. By choosing sobriety I missed out on a pretty fun relationship. I could look at as I'm not with a beautiful fun girl because I don't drink and she does. But I choose to look at it as saving me time. I broke the no dating for a year rule. That almost got me but my friends and family were very supportive.

I have become a better friend to those who are still in my life.

I have not been to an AA meeting in a little while but I would like to get back into it. I have no license at the moment and I'm on house arrest so it is a bit tricky. But I have kept good sobriety.

Oh I also took up playing the banjo. That helped a lot at first keeping me busy. It also gives me something to do at parties as I no longer drink. I don't know what I will do now as I quit smoking too. But my good friends are aware of and supportive of my sobriety.

And good god with the way I diet now I could never let myself drink all those empty calories.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for the reality check Ne. I for one intend to cash that check, and HTFU mentally, and physically. But no pictures from me!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow ne, what a story and what an accomplishment!
Thanks for your post ..youve inspired me tonight~!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 11 months sober!! I just hit that mark yesterday and am feeling the same joy and transformation as you. My whole life is better and I'm so happy all the time.

You play the banjo? My favorite instrument. Have you heard of Bela Fleck (and the Flecktones)? He's a wicked banjo player and so so good. His playing send chills up my spine from his gift. I love banjo!! Keep on playing!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

The picture says it all! The ease in your face. Just priceless! Congrats on 11 mos!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are looking AWESOME. You can really tell your spirt is happy inside of you. I am glade for you!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on 11 months sober!! I just hit that mark yesterday and am feeling the same joy and transformation as you. My whole life is better and I'm so happy all the time.

You play the banjo? My favorite instrument. Have you heard of Bela Fleck (and the Flecktones)? He's a wicked banjo player and so so good. His playing send chills up my spine from his gift. I love banjo!! Keep on playing!
Yeah, I like Bela Fleck. I also love the Yonder Mountain String Band. They are bluegrass with a rock undertone. I saw them in concert in June and it was great. My first sober concert btw. I danced my ass off sober for the first time, it was great.

Mumford and Son are also really good. They play an electric banjo, they are more rock/folk music.

And speaking of concerts I went and saw Sublime with Rome in August and it was a great show. Sobriety means concerts don't cost 200$ for tickets, food, liquor, and party favors. Or if they do it's some damn good food.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow. That's awesome! I have wondered at times how my appearance would change with long-term sobriety. You look a million percent healthier. Congratulations and thanks for the inspiration!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

EEGAD LAD!!!!!!

What planet is that first guy from?

You now look completely comfortable in who you are. Good job!

Murray
Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was thinking about this post and your pictures on the way home tonight, a day after seeing it. The drinking mode picture doesn't look at the observer head-on, so it's easier for us to "take your word for it" that you were much worse off in Exhibit A. You could have been a lot more heinous, frankly. But in the spirit of your message, the non-drinking picture is pretty impressive, and I don't just mean that you're a looker. It's like you grab onto life in your eyes. You look humbly confident. I'm glad.