Notices

Do I have a drinking problem?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I have a drinking problem?

Hey folks

I hope this is the right section to address my issue.

My name is Christian, I am 25yo and I think I have a drinking problem.

Before 2010 I didn't use to drink heavily or drink any kind of high alcohol percentage drink, all I did was to drink the occasionally 1-3 beers people usually drink with friends going out.

At some point at the beginning of the year I thought that it would be interesting to see how it is like to drink some of the more stronger stuff like whiskey or vodka and get really wasted. I started with whiskey right away, drinking mostly in the weekends, on average 2 weekends per month, that means 2 whiskey bottles every month.

I don't have any particular reason for drinking, it kind of feels *right* to do it whenever I know I won't be driving or getting involved in any kind of social interaction.
From time to time I meet with other people that seem to have a problem with drinking and things totally get out of control, at some point we drank something like 4 liters of whiskey (3 persons, me, a girl and another friend).

Now, the optimistic side of me tells me that since I am not a regular drinker I don't have a problem with alcohol, but on the other hand I can't find the reason for this urge of drinking that keeps coming to me every now and then.

Thanks for reading my relatively long post, I look forward for any kind of advice that would shed some light on my situation.

Cheers,
Christian
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Now, the optimistic side of me tells me that since I am not a regular drinker I don't have a problem with alcohol
It doesn't matter how much you drink, or what you drink, or how often - it's what happens to you when you drink. And if alcohol is causing you any problems at all, best to just put it down. You're young so if you quit drinking now you will avoid alcohol-related problems in your future.

Welcome to the family!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I like to keep things simple. Never mind what you drink, how much you drink or how often.

If you are totally honest with yourself, is drinking causing you a problem? Would people who know you say it's causing a problem?

Because nothing you said really stands out to me as problematic, but I don't know how your drinking "feels" for you; I don't know if there's anything you omitted. I had plenty of times of getting well hammered in my early days. It's not the smartest hobby, but I don't regret it. I ended up an alcoholic, but the friends I drank with did not, most hardly drink at all now.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

While they say only you can say whether you have a problem or not something you said jumped out at me as not "normal"...you said you decided to start drinking whiskey and vodka so that you could get really wasted because it was interesting and that drinking felt "right". I thought...who the heck thinks drinking hard stuff and getting wasted is interesting and right? And honestly I don't think that's normal...does that make you an alcoholic? I personally don't know....but I do know it sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol regardless of labels.

Maybe try to not drink for 6 months or give up the hard stuff for a year and see how it feels...it might be than you can return to normal drinking still but it kind of sounds like you are on a slippery slope. Good luck...I hope you stick around and read more on this forum...its very helpful:-)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Most bars pour 1.25-1.50 oz of liquor for a single drink. Therefore, a liter of liquor, which is 33.814 oz, contains 22.5-27 drinks, if poured correctly. 4 liters would then be 90-108 drinks. Divide that between 3 people, you get 30-36 drinks per person.

That's a lot.

I know alcoholics who (like me) drank (and some still do) every single day. Every day I'd have 6-12 beers, 1-3 shots, and often much more. I know alcoholics who would only drink every once in a while, maybe once a month, but when they did drink they couldn't control their drinking or their behavior.

There's no test that says you have to drink X number of drinks in a day/week/month. There's no alcoholism qualification that says you must end up in jails or under a bridge. If alcohol is becoming a negative in your life, if it is causing you any problems at all (and if you think it is, I'd say that thought is a problem right there), it's best to just cut it out. The fewer problems we have in our lives the better.

I'm not enough of an expert to be able to tell you if you have a problem; alcohol affects us all in different ways, so I guess what may be a problem for 1 person may not be a problem for another. But I will say that if you're looking for any help or encouragement should you decide to put away the bottle, you've found a great place for it. Thanks for joining us, and I hope you hang around and talk to some folks here.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome Cristian! I wasn't sure if I had a problem or not either. I did a lot of reading here, and instead of focusing on the differences I had with others here, I focused on the similarities. There were simply too many to ignore. So, I suggest you read here, do some soul searching, and decide if alcohol has ever caused you problems. It did cause me some problems, sometimes, and that is how I came to the realization that I don't drink like a normal person. Where you go from there is up to you, but I suggest figuring out a plan. Good lucl
Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

If you want to know whether you have a problem or not, just stop drinking. Set a fixed time period of say, a month, and don't drink and see how it goes. I think you will probably get your answer.

If you do decide to stop drinking, we are here to support you.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No one can tell you whether or not you have a drinking problem for sure. Only you can figure that one out. The fact that you are looking into it suggests you do. I know when I was drinking "normally" the thought never entered my mind to look online or research alcoholism. The only time I did that was when I knew I had a problem!

I think you have internal radar. Maybe your brain is sending you signals to address your drinking. Very good advice above. You are young maybe put the alcohol down for a while and see for yourself. Good for you trying to get a handle on this now.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna and the others who have suggested that you just try stopping for a month or so and see how that goes.

In AA (and elsewhere, I assume), it is acknowledged that you can have a "problem" with your drinking but not necessarily be an alcoholic. Alcoholism is generally a self-diagnosed condition, so only you can say for sure that you have it or don't. If you do decide that you're an alcoholic, though, I would urge you to address the problem before it gets out of hand...alcoholism is a progressive disease which means it WILL get worse and worse and even more worse over time.

Let us know how it goes for you; best of luck to you!

Stephanie
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People vary in their experiences, but I don't think there is anything wrong in supecting there could be an issue with your drinking. What sounds familiar to me is the notion that there wasn't a particular reason, but "let's just do this anyway." When I was really young, I did that a few times by myself and accepted invitations to go out to bars when I normally woulodn't have felt like it too. Somewhere along the line, I was fniding that alcohol was making me a better person, because I was more open to being around people rather than being alone and letting myself worry about something or feel alone. I didn't set out to be an "excessive" person, but there must have been some emotional attachment that was building strength in those days, my early 20s, and starting with age 19, which is when I was legal to drink. About 5 years into drinking, I would seek out opportunities to go out, because I needed the company and I had stayed away from it out of a kind of studiousness. Then the next 3 years consisted of sporadic consumption - nothing, lots, nothing, lots and rarely having any by myself. But at the end of that three years (27), I started having it every night by myself, and what used to be just about any type of drink turned into beer. (I used to drink different kinds of liquor and sometimes mix them, and I'd even noticed that gin made me a little bit of a fighter - ahem.) I drank on an everyday basis for the next 13 years, with few exceptions and few "pauses" to quit. Quit almost a year ago.

I would say it's a good idea to read, read, read and give yourself lots to do outside of drinking. But don't be satisfied with partial understandings that you could have a drinking problem, like you are entertaining with your thoughts here. I say that because that can go on for years and you could just cover it up with more drinking. If you are having a rough time going without it and seeing rotten emotions and behavior, then you have a much better idea about what your relationship with alcohol is.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
It doesn't matter how much you drink, or what you drink, or how often - it's what happens to you when you drink. And if alcohol is causing you any problems at all, best to just put it down. You're young so if you quit drinking now you will avoid alcohol-related problems in your future.
Thanks for the welcome, at this point I can honestly say that so far alcohol hasn't caused me or the people I know (or anybody for what is worth) any problems and I plan to keep it that way.
Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I thought...who the heck thinks drinking hard stuff and getting wasted is interesting and right? And honestly I don't think that's normal...does that make you an alcoholic? I personally don't know....but I do know it sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol regardless of labels.
I know it sounds silly, but when I started it I found it interesting, like some kind of new experience.
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Most bars pour 1.25-1.50 oz of liquor for a single drink. Therefore, a liter of liquor, which is 33.814 oz, contains 22.5-27 drinks, if poured correctly. 4 liters would then be 90-108 drinks. Divide that between 3 people, you get 30-36 drinks per person.
We did this 3 or 4 times, we bought entire bottles of whiskey, 70cl (23.66oz) or 1 liter (33.81oz), so this is why I think I might have a problem. A "shot" for us/me is usually 150-200ml (5.07-6.76oz).

When I started drinking I could barely sip from from a glass and woosh the whiskey through my mouth, now I can drink it like water, which is something that I find pretty scary.
Originally Posted by stephnc View Post
I agree with Anna and the others who have suggested that you just try stopping for a month or so and see how that goes.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to stay away from drinking heavy stuff at least till the end of the year, with this approach I hope I will determine if I really miss drinking.

I would like to thank you all for your quick replies, I will try to read through the forum in the next days to find some answers for my questions.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Cristian View Post

From time to time I meet with other people that seem to have a problem with drinking and things totally get out of control, at some point we drank something like 4 liters of whiskey (3 persons, me, a girl and another friend).
4 liters between 3 people would kill "normal" drinkers.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
4 liters between 3 people would kill "normal" drinkers.
We were at a party, we served several other people from one of the bottles, so this brings down the total amount the 3 of us had to something like 3 liters
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

I can't tell you if you have a problem or if you are an alcoholic, that is for you to decide on your own, but if you are concerned you are definitely in the right place. Although the big book outlines people who have the "potential" to be alcoholic and than the "true" alcoholic. Either one would deserve rigorous honesty and a "want" to accept the fact to need help. And than more rigorous honesty comes in to play when and if you decide to work a program to sobriety.

Again it is up to you to decide if you have a problem, and once you have decided it is up to you to find the help. But you are definitely in the right place and there is a lot of sobriety here and a lot of good people with a lot of experiences that you can hopefully relate with.

Welcome!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound, to me, anyway, like you have a physical addiction to alcohol, but when you do drink, you're not drinking responsibly. You're not in control of your use, you can't moderate your drinking, and what you do while drinking impacts you enough to make you question whether or not your drinking is problematic.

If you do decide you have a problem, it will be more manageable early on. Decide NOW if you feel you need to quit drinking, and if you come to the conclusion that you do, take action at this point before the problem becomes much, much worse.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cristian

As several people have said it's really you who is the final judge on whether you have a problem or not. I always think tho, that noone comes and signs up to a website called sober recovery for fun.

If you do decide to stop drinking to test the waters, it might be wise to consult a Dr first. Detox can be tricky for some of us, and that's quite a lot of alcohol you're talking, for anyone.

D
Old 11-07-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi and Welcome Cristian,

Some people say: If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you probably do.

I remember thinking I should quit smoking cigarettes a few weeks after I had started, I was about 15. My exact thought was: If I had quit last week, when I wanted to, I wouldn't be smoking now. It took me 12 years to quit smoking.

I had the same feeling with smoking pot. Very early on I thought: This isn't right, I shouldn't be using this the way I do. Years of mental pain later I managed to quit.

And then, the same with alcohol. My drinking has "been on my mind" for more than 5 years and that is why I want to take action now.

I have learnt that the little voice warning me probably knows something I don't know yet.

hang around and read - there are quite a few ppl in their 20ies here
Vee
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome! I also can't tell you if you have a problem, but agree that if you think you do you've come to the right place. I also agree you should try to stop drinking for a month or so.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

what we, or anyone else thinks really doesn't matter. only you can decide whether you're an alcoholic and only you can do something about it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

However i will add that i've never met a person who thought they had a drinking problem who actually didn't. Not saying it's not possible, but i've never seen it. Denial is a powerful thing for us, but when the light crept in and i first "thought" i had a problem i knew deep down inside i was in trouble. Unfortunately it took me years(a decade) to address the problem. Hopefully that's not the case for you.