Notices

I Had A Quick Question Regarding Location

Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Had A Quick Question Regarding Location

I am sorry if this is answered in some of the FAQ's - but I figured I would ask here, so if any mods, etc could help me out - that would be great!!!

Is there a section - or thread - where we can find people in our immediate area? I am having a real rough time getting to meetings (no car) and would just generally like to be intrduced to some "sober buddies" in my neck of the woods...

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question - thanks all!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not a mod but would think that if you had your location on your 'about me' profile (ex: Chicago, IL) that others in your area could private message you about exchanging phone numbers and maybe going to meetings together. I don't know what the rules are specifically but I do know you're not to post personal info in your posts, it will be removed. I don't know about your profile page tho. A mod will soon be along and can answer you accurately.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Most people here like to hang onto their anonimity, Spence so no, we don't have anything like that.

You also have to keep in mind we're an open forum - anyone can read here, so it's best to remember that when sharing personal details.

The privacy rule least mentioned is basically common sense
3. Breaching of privacy: Solicitation of names and addresses or other personal information for commercial purposes or, in the case of minors, for any purpose. Revealing personal information, including e-mail addresses, about other members that would identify them in the real world and which they have not otherwise made public online. This includes posting the contents of emails, private messages, private phone conversations, and/or any other private information that has not been shared on the forums by the member personally.

Do not post offline personal contact information (ie. your home address, phone numbers, email address etc.) and do not ask for personal information from others. Modify your member profile in the Control Panel at the top left corner of the forum to set privacy settings for your account. Use of full names (your first and last name) is allowed but strongly discouraged. This is to protect your security and identity.
You're obviously in NY - let others contact you, maybe?
I know some AA groups can help you organise transport too?

D
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help guys - I am going to call the local number for AA here,
hopefully I can get some answers there...
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good deal Spence and know too that folks are here most of the time so always share in a post and of course there is chat as well.

All the best