Notices

Aa

Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aa

AA might work for those who believe in GOD...but I do not. I drink 12 tall boys(473 ml can of beer) aday...Obviously it can't be healthy and cost $600 dollars amonth, but other then that I do not have the same problems others do. I don't get drunk, rude, or do anything I regret...for me it is the same as 12 cans of pop a day. I went to an AA meeting with a friend that drank 2 bottles awine aday, which destroyed her life and I couldn't believe what I witnessed, longtime members telling the same story about how their lives were ruined by drinking with all the details...I immediately thought that these people are perpetuating their own "alcoholism" and that alcohol is still running their life and they are not truly rehabilitated. In North America everyone is always watching what everyone else does and every vice is a disease. Believe it or not, "alcoholism" is not the problem, but an excuse for bad behaviour. Maybe the problem is the pressure and pain of living in "the real North America" where it is "the haves vs the have nots", or that here we are all brought up to think of ourselves first which it turn makes us lonely and family values come second - the kind of job you have and how much money you make defines who we are - I think those buying a purse for $1200 are the ones that need help. We live in a plastic, fake society and maybe we should look at WHY are people drinking excessively- instead of who, where, when and how...I think that we live in a very lonely society and we are becoming too intelligent to believe in religion. I personally like to keep reality in the proper perspective....BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, NOT A HIGHER POWER-YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Huh? I am confused by your post. Lots of people here do not go to AA for their recovery. But this IS a recovery site. Your post seems to have nothing to do with recovery.

You can believe what you want about alcohol or alcoholism, but if you are not interested in recovery from addiction, you may want to seek some other online community.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree..
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Huh

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
Huh? I am confused by your post. Lots of people here do not go to AA for their recovery. But this IS a recovery site. Your post seems to have nothing to do with recovery.

You can believe what you want about alcohol or alcoholism, but if you are not interested in recovery from addiction, you may want to seek some other online community.
See, what I said is true...what a lonely society we live in, full of selfish people. You are asking me to leave this forum because I don't believe in alcohol addiction. I still drink everyday. Why are people so eager to dismiss others? You helped me prove my point. Maybe it would be easier for people to stop drinking in excess if we all asked ourselves WHY are we drinking so much.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks for the input.

This is a recovery site. If you don't believe in it, see no need for it in your own or anyone else's life, I fail to see why you would need or want to post here.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bladerunner2014 View Post
See, what I said is true...what a lonely society we live in, full of selfish people. You are asking me to leave this forum because I don't believe in alcohol addiction. I still drink everyday. Why are people so eager to dismiss others? You helped me prove my point. Maybe it would be easier for people to stop drinking in excess if we all asked ourselves WHY are we drinking so much.
And you just reestablished your position. I did not ask you to leave. Call me selfish, i have no clue what in my post made you think that.

You say you still drink, you express no desire to stop drinking, so why bother with a bunch of people who are in recovery or actively trying to?

And I think that most people who quit drinking do work on the "why" of their drinking along the way.

Good luck to you, whatever it is you are trying to accomplish in your life.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA might work for those who believe in GOD...but I do not. I drink 12 tall boys(473 ml can of beer) aday...Obviously it can't be healthy and cost $600 dollars amonth, but other then that I do not have the same problems others do. I don't get drunk, rude, or do anything I regret...for me it is the same as 12 cans of pop a day. I went to an AA meeting with a friend that drank 2 bottles awine aday, which destroyed her life and I couldn't believe what I witnessed, longtime members telling the same story about how their lives were ruined by drinking with all the details...I immediately thought that these people are perpetuating their own "alcoholism" and that alcohol is still running their life and they are not truly rehabilitated. In North America everyone is always watching what everyone else does and every vice is a disease. Believe it or not, "alcoholism" is not the problem, but an excuse for bad behaviour. Maybe the problem is the pressure and pain of living in "the real North America" where it is "the haves vs the have nots", or that here we are all brought up to think of ourselves first which it turn makes us lonely and family values come second - the kind of job you have and how much money you make defines who we are - I think those buying a purse for $1200 are the ones that need help. We live in a plastic, fake society and maybe we should look at WHY are people drinking excessively- instead of who, where, when and how...I think that we live in a very lonely society and we are becoming too intelligent to believe in religion. I personally like to keep reality in the proper perspective....BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, NOT A HIGHER POWER-YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO!
Dude people were getting drunk long before there was a North America as we know it.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

... I still drink everyday. Why are people so eager to dismiss others? You helped me prove my point. Maybe it would be easier for people to stop drinking in excess if we all asked ourselves WHY are we drinking so much.
So what are your intentions? To talk us into behaving like you? If so, you are trying to drag us down to your level rather than trying to help anyone.

Alcoholism is more than just about alcohol issues. The ISM part implies that it is "Simply Irresistible". Nearly all of us wasted years trying to beat this illness using diligence, tenacity and assertiveness.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Na

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Dude people were getting drunk long before there was a North America as we know it.
yes, humans have been drinking since we figured out how to make alcohol, and before North America ...BUT it was not labeled a disease until North American Society labeled it one.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

But you seem to have no interest in STOPPING, and that's why we are all here. Maybe in fact alcohol is NOT effecting you, maybe you HAVE 600 a month to spend on beer, but for many of us this isn't the case. If you come in respectfully, then you get respect. It is not respecting my journey to say that it doesn't exist.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
And you just reestablished your position. I did not ask you to leave. Call me selfish, i have no clue what in my post made you think that.

You say you still drink, you express no desire to stop drinking, so why bother with a bunch of people who are in recovery or actively trying to?

And I think that most people who quit drinking do work on the "why" of their drinking along the way.

Good luck to you, whatever it is you are trying to accomplish in your life.
I am here, so I do want to live longer...obviously I agree that drinking alcohol in excess is bad for my health. But the reasons I drink 12 beers aday has nothing to do with addiction, it is a choice I am currently making-like everyone else who drinks in excess...just like when I choose not to do the dishes til later, etc...but WHY is the question...do we all drink in excess for the same reasons, and if so, WHY? It is certainly not an addiction...alcohol is not crack! People do not sell their furniture for it! It blends into our life. Human beings are to advanced to spend their life feeling bad about themselves and counting days sober...why is my opinion not valid? I am a human.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I have no clue what leads you to believe alcoholism is not an addiction.

YOU may not have an addiction to alcohol, but please don't try to tell me that I don't.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

Well, I really wanted to avoid feeding the OP in this post, but I guess I must.

Bladerunner2014; this is a site for people who are trying to recover from the devastation that drinking has incurred on our lives. It's not a forum for debate. It is a forum for support. Unless you have some real input or help to provide, the door is thataway ---->

However, if you want to quit, and you think you might have a problem, then open up, man. Let us know where you are coming from and how we can help. All of us here can help.

Dee, can we get a lock here?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am here, so I do want to live longer...obviously I agree that drinking alcohol in excess is bad for my health. But the reasons I drink 12 beers aday has nothing to do with addiction, it is a choice I am currently making-like everyone else who drinks in excess...just like when I choose not to do the dishes til later, etc...but WHY is the question...do we all drink in excess for the same reasons, and if so, WHY? It is certainly not an addiction...alcohol is not crack! People do not sell their furniture for it! It blends into our life. Human beings are to advanced to spend their life feeling bad about themselves and counting days sober...why is my opinion not valid? I am a human.

As in why am i bothering to post again to this. . .

your opinion is valid, i personally try to value all opinions. I am just not sure what yours is, or what your point of posting on a recovery site is.

People do in fact sell things for alcohol, go without basic needs for alcohol, live homeless for alcohol. . .alcohol is a drug. And it can be addictive to many people. Addictive or not, it kills people. Millions of people. do what you want. If you want to quit drinking, then stick around and find support. But in order to find that support, you need to take a few steps back from combative, at least at first.

Don't know. Just my opinion. Which i also think has value. Perhaps you don't.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ouch!

This is the community I believe I belong...drinking in excess is abigger issue than addiction and it should be discussed by those of us that do or have drinken in excess...if someone strongly disagrees with me, doesn't that strengthen their opinion on the isuue-therefore helpful to them?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello.....

Please take time to read this article

How We Get Addicted - TIME

I do hope you want to find a sober healthy future
sooner than later.

Many of us are doing just that....some with formal programs
and some who use a variety of methods.
You are still drinking...we are not...

All my best as you figure out what you need to do for
yourself.

There must be a r reason you wanted to join us
Welcome
Old 10-10-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There are programs that support the attempt to learn to drink in moderation. You can google "Moderation Management". I tried mightily to control my drinking for four and a half years without success. Maybe you're one of those who can do it.

This site, though, is one that supports ABSTINENCE from drugs and alcohol.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Some people buy purses for £12,000, some peeps buy cars for £100,000 but they are not alcoholic, or, drink too much. Some peeps earn thousands and thousands of pounds/dollars a month/year and are not alocholic. Where you live, what you do, how much money you make don't seem to make a difference. For me I started drinking like every normal teenager, and through my twenties, thirties and beyond alcohol was the oil that moved society's engine and I loved it, well in fact I didn't really think about it, everyone did it and that was that. It's when it started affecting my life, when I realised that I drank more that other folk and when I got into trouble with alcohol that I started thinking "hey! I might have a problem". But, where does one go, the only place in respected society is AA, so that's where I went. I too think it has its drawbacks and I don't take on board stuff that I don't think concerns or relates to me but I do feel an extreme sense of friendship and understanding and a feeling of bonding some some people and that helps me. I love this site coz like now I can express myself and get feedback from like minded people. Alcohol was ruining my life, I hated what it made me and what it did to me and how I nearly lost my family because of it. When I don't drink my life is one million times better, that's all I know and that's what I hold on to every day, whether you/one believes in God is irrespective, I just do the best I can to get well. Thanks Lillyknitting xx
Old 10-10-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yes, humans have been drinking since we figured out how to make alcohol, and before North America ...BUT it was not labeled a disease until North American Society labeled it one.
I'm not sure if it is a "disease" or not. I am 100% responsible for what I have become. I also know this...I CAN'T DRINK WITHOUT SERIOUS COSEQUENSES! If it were as easy for me as "just don't drink so much" I wouldn't be here.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you are a student of history you can find many references of the devastation caused by excessive drink king throughout the existence of alcohol...just because it didn't have a name did not make it non-existent.

Me...I follow my own program and it works well for me...I respect those who get what they need from AA...its none of my business why they go that route.

I rarely drank to the point where I was visibly drunk and have had zero repercussions from my drinking...although who knows what long term damage I've done to myself.

I am working on myself, to make myself a better person...not because I am an alcoholic or not...but because that is what I want from my life.

Have you tried to stop and are unable?