Notices

Hello Again...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Bob

At this point I am almost on information overload, but I do think its all helping.

I called my doctor to let him know that I'm doing this, and the extent I was drinking, he wants to see me tomorrow. We shall see how that goes. The nurse who I talked to when I called immediately suggested AA to me.

Today is going pretty well for me... some cravings... they totally remind of nicotine cravings. The good thing is that those cravings went away for good 5 years ago, after being an ex-smoker for 6 months. I suspect these will be the same way.

Hope today has went well for you too!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Bob,

After reading this and chatting to you in chat room, i seems to me that all the light bulbs are starting to go off for you. You are getting some fantastic advice, I hope you can follow it.

As people have said here, you have dodged a bullet, now time to turn that into a positive.

Keep posting - you are doing well
Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey Bob - glad you're back and congratulations on your sober time! I know it's hard to think about not going out with friends, but do what's best for you. It's OK right now to be focused on your recovery. Things really do get easier after a while.

I'm so glad your wife is supporting you - that's huge! Keep hanging in there!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Bob

Thanks Oz and Art, the support I've been receiving from SR has been so great.

Tonight went well, I found that eating a large dinner right after work does great at killing the drinking urges. So far it seems that alcohol ones stay away longer than nicotine urges. I know the large dinner will need to be scaled down, but I bet its still less calories than the smaller dinner and 1000+ calories that I was drinking per night.

Full disclosure, I'm an anal kind of guy, and keep very detailed financial records, and yes, even tracked alcohol expenses. I just got done coming up with a dollar amount for the past 12 months on just what I spent for beer for home consumption, and wow. My assumption of how much I was drinking per day is pretty much corroborated by the dollar amount. Yikes. And this didn't include drinks at restaurants, sporting events, etc. Not to mention I'm sure I forgot to record a few of those case purchases properly.

The good thing is I now have at least an extra $250+ per month to spend elsewhere. Pop and water are so much cheaper!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Maybe put that $250/mo. in an account for a nice family vacation for your precious little girls!!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Bob

Good plan, tjp.

We were actually considering a DisneyWorld trip over the holidays.

My first question when this came up months ago... "do you think they sell beer there???"

The more I think about this addiction, the more I realize how similar it is to my smoking addiction, which I quit 5 years ago. I used to stress about going places if I couldn't smoke when I wanted to. Now I have no issue spending hours in a plane, or at a concert, where smoking is prohibited.

I now realize that I would stress about going places that didn't serve beer. Heck, I've checked restaurants to see if they had draft beer, so I knew I could get beers bigger than 12 ounces.

As I slowly emerge from my alcohol induced fog, I realize that this is a change I just have to make.

Bob