Notices

Drinking Dreams for Newcomers

Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Drinking Dreams for Newcomers

I have had quite a few Drinking Dreams since I stopped drinking.

Last night, I dreamt I was at the liquor store, buying 3 bottles of wine.

I woke up, and for a few minutes I was thinking I ACTUALLY HAD been at the liquor store, I felt so guilty.

Then I realized it was a nightmare - thank GOD.

Does anyone else have these dreams, I assume you DEFINITELY DO.

Kelly
Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I have both drinking and drug dreams. Had quite a few drug dreams recently over the past week or so every night I think, but I don't worry about them and pay no attention to them, they are only dreams. Know what I mean?

If anything they are a blessing in many ways, as it reminds me how crap it is to drink and drug again, I always feel anxious in my dreams and know I shouldn't be drinking and drugging, I wake up and just forget about it until a thread comes up on SR about them!! ha-ha.

They come and go. Don't worry about them. I used to get them when I used to be active in addiction and used to view them as a free trip. Now they're an additional learning experience, further reinforcing that I'm an alcoholic and addict.

Peace
Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I had the drinking dreams quite frequently for the first 6 months or so, now (15+ months sober) they are few and far between.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not yet as I've only been off it a few days, but will most probably dream about it at some point. It happened when I quit smoking for a few years. I'd wake up panicking that I'd smoked and ruined all my good work. It was great tho when I realised it was just a dream
Old 09-29-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I had a dream that Bill W was asking me to go drink and he kept on using the old time lingo. Come on man! LETS GET THAT WHOOPIE PARTY AND GET TIGHT!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happens to me a lot. Strangely, I am on Antabuse even in the dreams, so it usually ends in guilt AND headache...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kelly I had some in the beginning.....Yikes. I recall one was just me doing a simple dinner with past friends and family....and I felt drunk even though I didn't drink anything. I had everyone asking me whats wrong and me just trying to convince everyone I wasn't drunk. I woke up from that and honestly panicked.....like what have I done. Then I realized it was just a dream...but it was frightening.

I know I spent years hiding and covering up my drinking. Whatever it took and all that work did a number on my head.

I love never having to live that again.

Thx for the post

Last edited by Kmber2010; 09-29-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typos what else is new
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think they're pretty common in early recovery Kelly. I certainly had a few of them.
Not so much now tho

D
Old 09-29-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very common and a recurring post here on SR. I even had faux hangovers until I realized I did not drink the night before.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

I don't have dreams that I am drinking since I have quit. But I DO have dreams that I am angry. VERY angry. Enraged...at the people I love. But I wake up and wonder if we've been fighting, then realize it's a dream.

I'm sure the drinking may become a theme eventually, but as of late, not at all. Only day 3 though.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

lol i still have the drinking dreams too, not as much as at first though, it used to be everynight. even in my dreams i get guilty, then i wake up and wonder if it really happened and i passed out or something. lol
the mind is an interesting thing sometimes eh?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, yeah for me they didn't happen at beginning but have been coming along a bit more regularly lately (6 months sober).

I guess my subconscious is still dealing with my drinking days. I certainly don't feel like picking up at all. I have been told they subside with time.

I just brush them off as nightmares.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juneof44 View Post
I don't have dreams that I am drinking since I have quit. But I DO have dreams that I am angry. VERY angry. Enraged...at the people I love. But I wake up and wonder if we've been fighting, then realize it's a dream.

I'm sure the drinking may become a theme eventually, but as of late, not at all. Only day 3 though.
I had EXACTLY this same thing happen. They went away after about a week.