Notices

Our Sobriety

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Our Sobriety

Just something I’ve been pondering that most of you would probably think is obvious. Something I’ve learned in just a few short months of sobriety and feel like writing about.

Our sobriety is our responsibility. We cannot count upon others to keep us sober. Now, I’m in no way suggesting not to seek support…as that can by very important. Still, at the end of each of our day ones, it is up to each of us.

My best friend, who has been my best friend forever, was surprisingly supportive of me when I opened up about my drinking problem. Then a few weeks ago he wanted to do shots with me at a social gathering. My family offered me beer recently. They used to make fun of my drinking. Oddly enough…they know beer was never my drink anyway. These are a few examples, and I'm sure most of you have some too. I managed to stay sober through these.

A great SR friend taught me that life will still happen even as we are sober. Our sobriety does not cure all our problems. We hope that as we are sober we can enjoy life more, and develop tools to solve our problems without resorting to poison.

So…I guess my point is we should find support. Whether it’s face to face groups, friends / family, SR or whatever helps us. Still…we cannot always count on that support to be there. In the end it is up to us.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely believe that it helps very much to know that we are not alone.

I come here because people here understand.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

I agree that we are responsible for our own sobriety. It's ultimately our own choice to be sober or drunk.

And yes- support helps a lot.

Thanks for posting. It was a good reminder for me today.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Support is of great help to me but yes, in the end, my sobriety is up to me. The longer I'm sober, the stronger I feel about it.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

GREAT point Ghostly. Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yep. It's not as important to any other person as it is to us.

We think it is, or should be.

But, bottom line is you're right....sobriety is our responsibility. Finding that support is up to us, too. That's why I love SR.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like the thought that sobriety is ultimately up to each individual and also like the thought that we need support. But when it comes right down to it it is up to each person whether they choose to bring that glass up to our lips and take that drink. It is so obvious yet so tricky. So thanks for this thread and the thoughts.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best post every

:ghug3
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post

A great SR friend taught me that life will still happen even as we are sober. Our sobriety does not cure all our problems. We hope that as we are sober we can enjoy life more, and develop tools to solve our problems without resorting to poison.

So…I guess my point is we should find support. Whether it’s face to face groups, friends / family, SR or whatever helps us. Still…we cannot always count on that support to be there. In the end it is up to us.

How did I miss this post !?!

Great message, Ghostly.

Thanks for the ESH
Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It bothers me when people do this. They know you're striving for a better life, yet they still offer you drinks. I experience this as well, but give in easily. Glad to hear you do not!

Flora
Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As much as I love and appreciate the support here at SR...you guys can't be with me at lunch today with the President of the Scandinavian branch of our company when she wanted me to drink with her.

As someone said, the more times we successfully navigate these situations the stronger we get.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

my boss offers me drinks all the time, but it's not her fault, it's mine. why? because i have not told her about my recovery or my problem yet. im sure she would respect it if she knew.