Notices

Two weeks.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks.

Today is 2weeks sober for me. Week after week for months I kept saying " ok tomorrow I'll quit drinking" well I'm glad 2 weeks ago I finally did! The first week my emotions were crazy. Happy one sec, super depressed the next ect. Which I was not used to at all since my emotions had been numb for so long by alcohol. I've still been isolating like I would when drinking alone but just havnt felt like doing a whole lot. And all of these people I thought were "friends" arnt interested in hangin out with me anymore. Oh well. Still glad to not be drinking!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on the two weeks! Yeah, it feels weird to be feeling again, doesn't it?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The good thing is... and the bad thing is....you can feel again.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job OCGirly

D
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great work OC!!! Love it!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job! Keep it up. We do tend to find out who are friends really are when we make a major life change.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tessa Tangent

Lightbulb Two Weeks...

Hi OC

First hi, because I am new on here, too. My sobriety date is 08/28/10 so I'm 30 days sober today, one day at a time. Congratulations on your two weeks, miracles are beginning to happen for you.

I agree with the others' comments. I, too, have found feelings coming back (and that is strange for someone who hasn't even shed a tear in two years) and also having to learn that genuine friends are loving and supportive.

You have said your first No! To drink, that is, and that might not suit some of your old friends. There may be more 'No's' to come and anyone who is a true, loving and supportive friend to you will understand why.

I am finding that the reason I was forever saying yes was my desperate need for approval (which really is a self-centred fear of being rejected if I said no and appeared mean or in a bad light ha ha), which often ended up with my being used, manipulated, abused and certainly taken for granted. WHICH: would lead to resentments, most of the time, and at the very least then fear, guilt or shame. WHICH: of course, led straight back to the bottle and another right load of trouble for me and mine!!!

So, the best thing to do was to start to change my behaviour. Being true to myself now means I look at how I'm REALLY feeling when something doesn't sit right with me, and act appropriately. Asking God's guidance and to be shown his will for me helps, too. Often it means calling my sponsor or, because she works, then one of my other two kind of spare sponsors, wise women in the fellowship, and running it by them. They are very good at helping me, someone who is not usually short of something to say, lol, to articulate my feelings into the right words, especially if it means saying 'no' to someone else.

I am therefore growing, in these small ways, spiritually and as a person and my previous terribly low opinion of myself has begun to rise as a result. I am starting to feel comfortable just being me in my own skin (and, hey, without alcohol).... and I like it :o)

It's a journey - enjoy yours - I'll follow your progress as and when I can :o)