Notices

Second DUI and scared to death

Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Ya know PW, looking back at them, my DUI's were a blessing in disguise.
Same here! It got me to put the drink down. That was my bottom. Drinking just was not fun anymore. Almost everytime that I drank, something happened: fights with spouse or family, strange bruises and bumps on the head, arrests, accidents/dents, etc.
I went to AA alot at first and it helped greatly to know I wasn't alone.
Coming here helps too, when people share of there struggles and successes.
Please do something now, before it is to late. You could kill yourself or someone else next time. That is what keeps me sober.
Today is the first day of the best you can be. Do this for yourself. You can recover.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comments guys.

OK, check this out and tell me if I did the right thing. I had planned to go to a meeting tonight. A friend of mine texted and ask for my company. She is going through a difficult time with her husband. She and her husband have been in and out of the program for years. She's an alanon person. I asked that she join me for the meeting. She agreed. Then I asked if she were sober. Nope, she was buzzed. I suggested we go tomorrow. She guilted me into taking her tonight... saying, "hey, I was here for you when you were released from jail." ooouch. ok you got me. I picked her up. She reeked of booze and now we were running late. On the way I quickly figured out that she was not just buzzed, she was drunk. I turned around and brought her home. She's pissed at me for not taking her to a meeting. I didn't make it either. I know AA doesn't care if you are drunk so long as you don't speak. But I'm new and didn't want to be branded as the guy who brought the drunk chick. you know what I mean?

At any rate, day 2 of sobriety down
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

PW, I would feel extremely uncomfortable taking someone who had been drinking to an AA meeting, unless it were an absolutely dire situation where that person had to get help. But that's just me, so I say no skin off your back for turning around.

I was just sentenced on Tuesday for my 2nd DUI in Georgia. 10 days in jail (only serve 5), 12 months license suspension, 240 hours community service, $1200 fine, DUI school (20 hours), drug/alcohol evaluation and treatment if they recommend (which I doubt...not a drink since that night of my arrest exactly 6 months ago), interlock ignition device (breathalyzer) on car for 6 months after I get my license back, and probation for 24 months (can get off in 12 if everything's done).

Now, I could be really upset about all that. But if this is what I have to go through to stop drinking, well, it's all worth it. And the fact that I stopped drinking that night has helped me face this sentencing. I know that everything will be OK in the long run, and I'll learn things from this experience and I'll meet people that I can help and people that can help me.

I hope things go as well as possible for you. But I've come to realize that life is less about the things we have to go through and more about how we handle those things. I know it sounds stupid, but we really do have to make the best out of every situation. Never know how it will benefit us in the long run.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I would have taken her anyway. She might have heard something that rang true about her own drinking. I've known more than one person who wound up realizing they need AA by going as support for someone else.

It's a moot point because you didn't go, but you asked for opinions.

Hope you make a meeting today.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

In your place, at that time, I probably would have done the same thing. Now that I've got some time in and understand AA a WHOLE lot better, I would have continued on and gone to the meeting. If she wanted to join me or sit out in the car....that's up to her.

Given the lives most of us have led in our addictions, it's not too difficult to guilt-trip us....that's my experience anyway. I already felt bad for so much that I ffelt like I just owed everyone all the time.

That being said, I believe things happen for a reason so maybe you probably weren't supposed to BE at that meeting that night.

Here's the challenge though: find another meeting to go to. You can google AA, get the number or your local office, call the # and find out what meetings are in your area today/tomorrow - then make up your mind to go to that one.