Notices

Day 6 and depressed

Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and depressed

For the past few days since I quit drinking I've felt really good, had more energy and have been upbeat considering what I am going thru. However, today on day 6 I've been really depressed, easily aggravated and not in the mood to do anything (I don't even have the energy or desire to take a walk). I am congratulating myself because in the past I would have drank when I felt like this and today I did not despite the temptation. I am planning on going to an AA meeting later tonight.

I'm assuming these day-by-day ups and downs are "normal" but how long should I expect them to continue? Today was awful.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats normal, living.

Much as we'd like it to be? recoverys not an event it's a process...and it's not always a linear one.

We've all done a number on our bodies and our minds - it takes time for that to right itself.

6 days is great but I think it's just the start - with all we;ve been through it's like we've walked ten miles into a wood...we don't get home again in a single bound, y'know?

Know that this is normal, and relax. Be patient. You're not alone with this.
D
Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh for sure, there will be ups and downs.

It's good that you can recognize what is going on and not act on it.

You're doing great!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Living - Stick with it. As you saw, I too am having some ups and downs - for me comes as anxiety and an edgy feeling - I am at one month. But I am trying to learn to tolerate the anxiety - heck, it won't kill me - just doesn't feel very good. But I am stronger than that - by numbing my anxiety away for years and years I also was numbing my other feelings and not moving ahead as a person. I had lost myself to the drinking - oh yes, I had also managed to temporarly drown the anxiety until the next morning.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

I am exactly where you are right now, Day 7. last night was the absolute worse. I missed out on a ton of "fun" things that were going on and sat home and played video games myself. I woke up today feeling great, and now I have the same feeling again tonight. It just feels like your missing out or something, but I know tomorrow I will talk to someone that decided to go out this weekend and hear about So and so hitting some type of low. I will be glad that for once, I will not be that person that is being referred to. Just keep telling yourself that you choose to be sober and that you are going to have to learn to deal with bad days the RIGHT way, because all booze is going to do is make tomorrow (and tonight) worse.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

just hang in there! your body is going through biochemical changes right now. I had intense waves of depression for quite a while, but they have subsided.... There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going thru the exact same feelings as well. Day 8 today for me. Even though I don't like randomly feeling all bummed out it's better than drinking like I was up until 8 days ago. Hang in there.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am feeling the exact same way, and I too am on day 7...again... Around one week I always become cranky, edgy, depressed and very anxious. Just ignore it, it will pass. If you think you cannot handle the feelings, try this. Think about how bad and guilty you will feel if you do drink? And in the past were the mornings after drinking any different (anxiety, depression, worry)? You can do it just think of those things and find something that makes you happy and focus there for now
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to break up your routine guys - do something, keep busy.
Things pass.

Keep posting for support here too
D
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Living - I know how you feel.

I'm mid way through Day 5 and have started feeling occasional waves of depression coming out of nowhere. Positive thinking and keeping busy should see me through if I'm careful.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As you've probably read here before there is a period of "mourning" when we quit drinking. For many of us alcohol/drugs was our best and sometimes only "friend" and giving that up causes an emotional disconnect. Once we start to accept the damage that our dear "friend" alcohol/drugs have done we can begin to heal but it takes time. Be proud of your decision to quit and reward yourself with a guilty pleasure whether that is a particular food (for me it was chocolate) or visiting somewhere/someone or watching the sun rise or taking a hot bath whatever it is do it and be proud of yourself.