Notices

Reaching Out...

Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hang in there - it really will pass. I had some down days (and still do occasionally), but they get fewer and further between. It takes time for the brain to start producing those chemicals (dopamine) again that are our "feel good" chemicals. It doesn't make them on its own when we're drinking.

I just pretended that I had an illness (well, I guess I really did!) and it was going to take a few months to get better completely. Sometimes the mental/emotional pain can be just as bad as the physical kind, so look at yourself with some compassion, and definitely treat yourself a lot during this time.

Sending prayers n hugs.........:ghug3
Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My husband once asked me when I was complaining about being depressed and emotional when I was supposed to be "over the moon." Did you think your PMS was going to dissappear? Than he handed me the calendar.
Just thought I would add some humor. I am not making light of your situation because your moods are going to be all over the map. I always thought of the cries as exhaling really big and letting the used air out.
SH
Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mama....you are doing great and staying on track.

Early sobriety was a confusing time for me as I too went through moments of complete utopia if you will and then spiraled down in moments of depression. Mood swings are quite common as we mentally and physically begin to deal with all that time we spent abusing ourselves.

I have found that as I furthered along....I began to stabilize and learned to take baby steps as others have shared. It is a process and it isn't overnight. While I have made great strides in my recovery and have embraced positive living, I have only recently begun to work on my emotions. In another words I would get so upset if I started feeling the slight bit sad or anxious. What I am working on is that people have feelings and feelings are normal. I had numbed emotions for years to escape and cope and I have honestly forgotten how it feels to feel. So this is the what I am working on now and it is tremendous.

Keep it going....reaching out and expressing your feelings is a positive thing. SR is here for you. I'm glad you are doing your meetings and you have your counseling coming up. Take it slow and day by day.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Lol...the PMS comment is great and that is a part of my issue right now, now that I think about it. I had a REALLY good sleep last night. If it weren't for that cute little mutt <------ over there waking me up to pee I think I may have slept clear through the night. I have a meeting tonight and tomorrow night so that is going to be a big life saver. You guys are wonderful and I think that I see now that getting down and missing my friend (the bottle) is going to come and go, just as all of you have pointed out. Before giving up on drinking, I was just angry all of the time, or drinking to take away the hangover or the pain that I have caused myself in my life.

Day 14 and still hanging in there. No drinking for today, I will worry about tomorrow then!

D.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mama36 View Post
I don't want to say this too often, but my son makes my day, my world.

D.
You can say that 100 times a day if you want...I feel the same way about my son!

Hang in there and don't be so hard on yourself. You'll have plenty of opportunities to help others as time goes on...take care of YOU right now.

Stephanie
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Steph, sometimes I come down with a bad case of pushing myself way to hard. I am learning some routine. It's been a big help to be here over the last day or so...big time.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

PMS....women do understand.
Men...not a clue...

Our hormons are many times
out of wack and cause us all
sorts embalances in our bodies.

Cute bottles....pretty packages....
little friends....whatever we call
our liquor....is disguised so we
only see the "pretty" outside cover.

We go in the store and the displays
have it so attractive looking that
we can't ecnore. They set it out
on isles so you wont miss them.

It's a reminder to not forget the
most important thing for a party,
game, family gathering....
alone time.

In my mind, i can visualize
trouble with alcohol. I see skulls
and a huge X or cross bones over
those dark bottles. Nothing more.

Temptation and evil in every
bottle to cause pain, shame
and remorse.

Stand tall and avoid and be
strong.

A new day sober with the
brightness of the sunshine,
Fall in the air and a spring
in ur step.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey all, end of day 14 here and feeling so much better than I did yesterday.

I just went to my 5th meeting and it was awesome, as usual. There was another newcomer there tonight and he was very sad and upset, it reminded me of me last Friday night. It was good to be able to tell him that by this time next week he is going to be feeling a lot better.

I'm so thankful to you all for everything, all of the posts and comments and support.

I have been sober now for two weeks, omg. Today has been awesome, I have been nicely busy and feeling good. One crappy deal is that the damn headache is back but I am living with it...much better than it was 14 days ago, that is a for sure.

I'm happy to be here and I am SO happy to be sober...It's a great day to be alive.

Happy Recovery Everyone...wooooooooohoooooooooo!!!!

D.