Notices

Week 1 and my first AA meetings

Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week 1 and my first AA meetings

I'm a 44 year-old female who has been drinking heavily for the past 5 years. When my husband left on a fishing trip Sunday I did exactly what I thought I would do - ran to the liquor store. Monday, I drank so much that I had an argument with my daughter that I provoked (and that she still hasn't forgiven me for). I really scared myself that night that because after that argument, I continued to drink - I really think I could have drank myself to death. So, after ruining my relationship with my daughter and realizing how out of control my drinking really was, I decided to stop. I thought when better while my husband is gone for a few days so I can work through this on my own. But, the best thing I did was look up where an AA meeting was for Tuesday night (my day 1) and went. There was a lady there who immediately began supporting me on this journey - telling me which meetings she goes to and asking if I would meet her at a meeting Wed. morning. She has shared her favorite books with me that give her strength (which I went and bought and they have also helped me) and calls me daily to see how I'm doing. I'm meeting her again tonite at a meeting - if she hadn't supported like she's doing and encouraged me to meet her again tonight chances are I wouldn't be going. But, as much as I've struggled these last few days, the more I stay sober the more I realize that I can live without alcohol and how good it feels. I don't know for sure if AA is the long-term answer for me but I'm giving it a try. So far, it's really helped me to stay strong. I keep reminding myself that the most important thing I can do today is stay sober.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, Living...welcome to SR! I'm also a 44 year old woman who started drinking heavily a few years ago. I started going to AA meetings a couple of years ago and I haven't looked back...I love it. Even though I've had some setbacks (relapses), I've always felt welcomed back in the rooms of AA and the program has not only helped me stop drinking (going on four months now), it's also help me deal with life in general in a healthier, much more fulfilling way.

This site is also a phenomenal source of support and friendship. Keep posting and letting us know how you're doing.

Stephanie

:ghug3
Old 09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Livingagain2
Good to have you here

D
Old 09-16-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stephnc - I am so scared that I am going to relapse when I go on vacation, out with my friends, etc. I've been drinking a 12 pack a night by myself at home. I would love to be able to just drink socially but I now know that I have a problem and cannot do that. So, I'm giving AA a try so I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. I've been lurking on this board for a few days and I'm so glad I ran across it. It helps to read what others are going thru and how they've succeeded - especially in between meetings.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Living, you are doing well and I can tell you something really and truly honestly. Had I not found this site, I would not have gone to AA and I would be drunk right now - that is an absolute! There are a lot of great people here and if you are careful with what you take to heart here, you will do just fine. Take what you can from this and get yourself to your meetings. When I feel down my meetings really help me to feel better and welcome.

D.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you've made it one week sober and plan to continue, day by day. Living sober makes things so much simpler for me and no more self hatred first thing in the morning, along with always feeling sick.

So many good reasons not to drink, can't think of any reasons to drink.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and it sounds like you're doing well!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi LA2 and welcome to the forum! I was scared about relapsing too, and about being out socially where there was alcohol. But I tried to just keep focused on a day at a time and so far, things have worked out. Early on it's best not to put yourself in situations where you'll be uncomfortable. A lot of people wait for months or even a year before they feel strong enough. That being said, some people have no problem at all.

Glad you've got someone in AA to lean on during this time - we need all the support we can get! So glad to have you with us!:ghug3
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LivingAgain, check your private messages.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

I'm from the "Meeting Makers Make It" crew.
They are like classrooms for living sober and healthy.

AA continues to be a vital resource for me.
My daily connection to SR is also important.

Blessings to you and your family