Notices

newbie :)

Old 09-17-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie :)

Hey there. It is now 6:30am central and I awoke about two hours ago with my heart pounding and racing. I thought I was dead and then dying. Let me elaborate on the order of occurences. I had this dream where to put it in short, I was "thrown" out of a moving car (other people in the car intentionally let me fall out) and after a few seconds of scraping against the pavement, whilst in mid-bounce/slide, I was somehow able to wrap my sweatshirt around my head and cushion it from further blows. I jump up and start running begging people to help me and am totally ignored until finally this man and woman help me and have me ly down on the ground as they spray this liquid from this hose(that they just so happen to be walking down the street holding) on my headwound to see how bad it is. I ask the couple, my voice fading to where I can barely hear myself, "What should I do?" Then all goes quiet and the pain stops. Am I dead? Did I just wake up from a coma? Am I in the hospital? No, I am in my bed, terrified, heart racing to the feel of a heart attack. First I thought I died in the dream, then, awake, panic takes over. So I'm now looking up vitamins on the internet, heart racing, because I just started taking extra calcium, zinc and some others(right before I went to sleep). I stumble upon your relaxation exercises which helped me(thank you) so that I did not rush to the er for fear of a heart attack. I think I'm going to live. But that was the most vivid and terrifying dream I have ever had.
Coincidentally, my boyfriend checked himself into a rehab two weeks ago and will be released in two weeks. We drank together, my level not as alarming as his, but ongoing for years. I want to support him in every way possible as he was brave enough to get help. I want to start attending AA meetings first on my own so we can go together later. I want to be on board with this, for myself, for him and for our love. We have a wonderful relationship aside from hurting ourselves. I am scared to death and am trying to find the strength to go to a meeting. Oh and did I mention I drank five beers last night and I have been slowly decreasing my alcohol intake to make it easier on myself to stop so I was quite buzzed when I fell asleep. Also, we had a family counseling with the bf and his parents yesterday so it was a more stressful day than usual. Does anyone think this dream is related to my own alcohol unmanageability and possibly no one realizing I need help to? I have always taken care of people my entire life.(family, sisters,brother,dad,total strangers,etc.) Sorry for the novel but i needed to share and thanks for reading. Any feedback would be most appreciated. God Bless <3
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Shreen

I'm not much for dream analysis, but I don't think you need to be Sigmund Freud to equate what we do to ourselves and being thrown out of a speeding car - I pretty metaphorically much did that to myself for years on a daily basis

I know you'll find a lot of support, help and ideas here. I think SR and AA is as good a place to start as any

You may also want to check out our Family and Friends forums too
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ily-alcoholics
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/

D
Old 09-17-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here, Shreen...this place is a wonderful source of support for people in recovery and for family/friends of people in recovery (it sounds like you're a bit of both.)

First thing I want to assure you about is that you absolutely don't need to have any "strength" to attend an AA meeting...they're not scary, I promise! I found AA to be one of the warmest, happiest, and most welcoming places I've ever been in my life.

And keep posting here at SR...let us know how things go for you.

Stephanie

Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I don't know why you are taking whatever you are
Did your doctor give you advice?
I take my vitamins with breakfast.

I do use AA for my recovery from alcoholism.
It's been an awesome life changeing program.
I certainly hope you will connect with it.

All my best...Welcome to our recovery community
Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You may want to talk to your doctor about medical help in getting thru the initial detox. Be safe when getting thru the initial withdrawals.