Notices

BBR Checking In

Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bbr

BBR Checking In

Just got past another big hurdle… the Family Reunion. Lots of relatives, some of whom are heavy drinkers. Me, my wife and kids flew cross-country to be a part of this, something we had planned to do for a long time, and it turned out pretty good. Many of these relatives I hadn’t see in years and in some cases (the ones recently added by marriage) ones I had never met. There were a few questions about why I wasn’t drinking, but I basically told them that I felt I had been drinking to much (an understatement ) and decided it would be best to quit.

There was one relative there who clearly has issues with alcohol and she drank herself into a stupor the whole she was with us, leading to a lot of hushed whispers among the others witnessing the staggering and nearly un-comprehendible speech. This only reinforced my resolve and I was glad it wasn’t me who was the subject of the discussions.

Coming up on 10 months and about to enjoy a sober football (American style) season.

Take Care,

BBR
Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome!! Great job! Doesn't it feel so good when you see others acting that way, and then realizing you're sober and don't have to deal with "trying" to act like you've got it under control? I went to a party 2 weeks ago and was amazed by everyone's behavior. I couldn't hold a conversation with anyone besides my husband and this older fella from England, whom had 1 glass of wine then coffee. The girls my husban works with are ... no words can describe really. They couldn't keep their eyes open, talk properly, or stand straight. I was a bit embarrassed for them.

It is a great feeling! Keep up the good work! (I'm looking forward to a sober football season too! ~ stupid that I messed up last night)
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself and stayed sober.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice job bbr and congrats on the sober time.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Great job BBR.. I too am enjoying the football season sober, although it was really hard to stay sober after watching the saddest ending to a Lions game in a looooooong time. It'll be all over talk radio for whoever missed it!!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done BBR. It does feel empowering when we make it through those situations and remain sober.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great job, bbr! It was such a relief to me to get through occasions like that sober (and find out that I usually did better than I thought I would).

I know what you mean about watching others get drunk. I went to a dance fund-raiser and watched a group of people who could hardly keep their balance throwing each other around on the dance floor. A couple of them ended up falling into the band. It was pretty painful to watch. Normally I would have been out there, too, but I spent the evening having intelligent conversation with several people who were in their right mind.

The best part of the evening was driving home around midnight feeling contently clear-headed. I even found myself pulling up next to a cop in an intersection and noticing my total lack of fear.......

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go on keeping in positive focus....

I watched my first "home" team beat Dallas tonight
Today my now "home team" lost to the Steelers
Down to the wire ..unexpected plays and mistakes.

Even more interesting now that I can actually
follow the plays.......sober and with :

Wishing you a happy football season
Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Great job staying sober at the reunion! Congrats too on your upcoming ten months!