Notices

Weird Feelings Tonight...

Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Weird Feelings Tonight...

I took my step-daughters out for supper tonight and it was a little bit weird, looking at what people were drinking and how they were acting. Wondering if the guy in front of me was enjoying his beer, but not really bothered by the fact that I just had iced tea...fattening I know but better than 18 beers and a few shots, that's for sure. This is my first Friday and Saturday night without a good drunk in a very long time. It does feel good but I wish hubby would hurry home so that I might make it to a meeting tonight...I really want to go.

I often watch people going by in cars, I have done this for a long time, and wonder how they are feeling and what they did the night before. EVERY time I am hungover and I see a family walk by my front window on a Sunday morning I ask myself, "I wonder if they are hungover", "probably not or they would be sitting on their couch ignoring the entire world like I am".

It's like I see how happy people are just walking or driving with a smile and enjoying life and everytime I notice that I am in a great state of drunken leftovers and it feels awful.

I know that tomorrow I will feel good when I wake just as I did today, though I am still not sleeping well so I do feel tired. I have a MUCH less severe headache today than I have had in a month...particularly the last week without the booze to numb it.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

each day that I dont pick up a drug, thats another day of freedom, another day I looked after myself, another day I lived life the best I can, another day I can be there for others.

It gets better mama and then it keeps getting better, even when life and recovery are` tough it keeps getting better. People here have lived through death, disaster, financial loss, great physical pain, physical and emotional impairment and not only have they not picked up they have faced up and carried on head held high, as have mllions of addicts and alcoholics all over the world.

Together, hand in hand we go forward.

I cant do this without you.

and it keeps getting.... yep you got it
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there Mama. That can be you walking on Sunday mornings with a smile, enjoying life without a hangover.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

We drank for years so it takes a little re-adjusting for sure, Mama
But you'll love waking up on Sunday/Monday morning...remember that feeling!

D
Old 09-11-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hangover free mornings are soooooo great!! Now that I'm enjoying sobriety its shocking to me how FEW people I know drank like I did.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Keep coming to SR and posting. It helps!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Donna....
Are there any local restaurants that don't serve alcohol?
In early sobriety....I avoided drinking places and drinkers.
Just made me antsy....and too uncomfortable.

Good to know you are moving forward....
Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is nothing better than feeling great emotionally and physically -- you will get there mama... it just takes time. Each day it gets better. And, yes, waking up with no hangover and no regrets... it seems like a reward.

Keep up the great work you are doing on your recovery! Sending a hug... :ghug3
Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with what's been posted--I avoided being around drinking as much as possible in the beginning.

AND, one of my favorite bits of recovery advice (I'm thinking of having it copyrighted): Expect to feel WEIRD for awhile. It doesn't mean something is "wrong" or that you can't do this. EVERYBODY feels weird at first. If you don't feel weird, well, that means you ARE.

Drinking is what's "normal" for you right now, and it will be that way for awhile. It takes some time before NOT drinking feels natural and normal. It may take months, or longer. But it DOES change.

Hope you enjoy your meeting tonight. Read your Big Book while you're waiting.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, when I was at my worst with drinking I was massively hungover about 3-4 days per week. I was always amazed to look around and see people who were NOT hungover, such as out for a run at 8:00 in the morning. I used to think to myself, "How do they do that?"

Such a twisted reality, isn't it. I'm so glad to be one of those people now drinking coffee or out for a run! I feel like I've joined the land of the living.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes I am weird, completely and I don't mind that at all...lol. I am a goofball by natrue and I am going to enjoy being that person again. I love that I have been sober for EIGHT WHOLE DAYS...

I love you all...

Donna
Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

weird feelings? welcome to recovery my friend. at first, everything felt weird because i attempted to regulate my feelings with substances then reached a place of no feeling at all. now, at 9 months clean, i have weird feelings from time to time. i try not to resist them and look at it as a gift. that i'm now living life as a human being, experiencing the range of feelings that arise and pass, as they are. we really are strange and crazy people, and i'm perfectly fine with that.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mama36 View Post
Yes I am weird, completely and I don't mind that at all...lol. I am a goofball by natrue and I am going to enjoy being that person again. I love that I have been sober for EIGHT WHOLE DAYS...

I love you all...

Donna
Nothing in the world wrong with weird! Congrats on your eight days, that's awesome!!!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Steph...your words and caring are always welcome.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to hate seeing those people, the ones who were happy all the time with their fam.. then I sorda became one I believe that saying above, "Expect to feel weird in the beginning" .. Yep! It really is weird for the first couple weeks in. I'm working on getting back to that happy people thing.

Keep doing whatever you're doing and you're doing great!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I guess my main goal here, more than anything is to be happy and be grateful for what I have rather than being drunk, miserable and hating everyone and everything around me. That is the ultimate goal for me.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This site is great for getting through each day. Post and read other posts.. it really helps. I couldn't get on for a bit because I needed to unplug myself from the internet a while. (I need that sometimes LOL) That may have lead to my slipping last night.

You're doing great!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eremc08 View Post
I used to hate seeing those people, the ones who were happy all the time with their fam.. then I sorda became one I believe that saying above, "Expect to feel weird in the beginning" .. Yep! It really is weird for the first couple weeks in. I'm working on getting back to that happy people thing.

Keep doing whatever you're doing and you're doing great!
I agree, and this is something I needed tio read as well, even though my problem is wth pills. It does seem weird now, and we do wonder if we will be that person on the other side. Mama, that's where the challenge is tootoo believing we can be those people. I believe I can be, and I believe you can be too...keep on going!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yup, and I am going to be those people...In fact I am SO up this morning thanks to a person here, SCW thank you, and I am snapping my fingers and tapping my toes. I am happy to be alive and I am happy to have a cup of tea, my hubby, his girls and my doggie...now when the boy gets home life will feel more complete than in a very long time.

Life is good...sobriety is going to make it even better...no matter how long it takes.

Originally Posted by ladyoffive View Post
I agree, and this is something I needed tio read as well, even though my problem is wth pills. It does seem weird now, and we do wonder if we will be that person on the other side. Mama, that's where the challenge is tootoo believing we can be those people. I believe I can be, and I believe you can be too...keep on going!