Notices

Giving control to HP Vs. My own efforts

Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving control to HP Vs. My own efforts

One of the things I continue to explore and think about a lot is the aspect of giving up control over aspects of my life to my higher power versus what kind of control/effort I should be putting into my own life myself. I guess its the argument of "ok I gave my life up to my HP and things are better" and I ask, "do I just sit back and wait for things to change" or "do I take action on things" to make things better at the same time.

This weekend I had a good experience to just tune out things and really think about my recovery and put things in perspective. I think that giving my life over to my HP versus taking my own actions is a give and take, and I need to be open minded enough to be able to know when each effort will take over.

For me, this has been a moment of clarity in essence. When I think back to my early days of recovery, I did have that period-not really a moment but a period where I came to understanding that something stronger than me could take away my desire to drink etc. But over the past months, I have realized this "Ah-Ha" moment is not always a one time deal, at least no for me. I continue to have moments where I am struggling with answers and direction realted to my sobriety and that moment of clarity kicks in.

Now I feel like as long as I keep doing things right, working on my sobriety and keeping that job 1 in my life, I am not going to have issues because I will get some more moments of clarity where the answers are all there.

That happened to me this weekend, and it has been happening but I think I just started noticing this and it feels really good. Now I feel like I have to do things on my own-like make sure my sobriety is job one, and try to make sure to keep the positive changes going on in my life every day. Like calling myself out when I am acting selfish, fearful etc. But I have days when that doesnt work, and now, instead of getting frustrated I take note of it and I have a new moment of clarity when I recognize I am failing at something and ask for help.

Its not a depserate feeling like it was when I first got sober. Now, its more like a breath of fresh air where I say "Well, I am stuck again-I guess I need help again on this one" and everything turns out the way it turns out and its all good.

Its amazing to me how open my mind is these days being sober, and being able to take note of all the amazing things that can happen in life everyday that I was missing out on for the years while I was drinking.

I couldnt be happier to be sober these days. I know not every day is going to be this great and not every day is going to be sober, but its a heck of a lot better than the way it used to be. I feel alive and connected to the world, something I missed out on/took advantage of for a long time.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I try not analyze or figure
out things that baffle me .

If I get to much thinking
in my head then I get anxious
and fearful.

I just work my program to
the best of my ability, remember
my faith and values I was raised
upon.

Leave all the worrying behind
me and just think about this....

Why waste a minute of worrying
when I know the Man upstairs
will take care of me.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Highby, I agree with you.

There are times when we need to take action, and there are times when we need to step back and let things happen. I often use the Serenity Prayer to help me through times when I feel unsure which way to go.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Remembering HOW daily works quite well for me

As long as I am honest...open minded and willing
my life continues to move forward.

Glad to know you are doing well....
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HIgby442 View Post
Now I feel like as long as I keep doing things right, working on my sobriety and keeping that job 1 in my life, I am not going to have issues because I will get some more moments of clarity where the answers are all there.
Hey there. I can relate to what you say there. It's a great feeling to have that faith in recovery. My experience thus far proves your quote to be my experience too.

I know that if I am working my recovery how I know that I need to work it then things will turn out for the best. I will be peaceful, content and acceptant of my hand.

If I try to force it too much on the other hand then the opposite will prove to be true. Stress, Worry, anxiety and selfishness will be the underlying themes.

I try not to think too much about how exactly it all works, rather just let it happen and smile.

peace