Notices

Love your recovery...

Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love your recovery...

I don't post this with any egotistical intent. In fact I am merely posting this as I am feeling this at the moment in my recovery. Like I have a wonderful warm feeling inside about where I am at and I want to share it.

There are days when I wouldn't be able to post this post as loving my recovery would be far away from the truth for that particular day. However even in those darker days in recovery then I have to make sure that I at least actively remember what it was like to wake up crying and wishing I was dead.

I don't know. It's just a fantastic feeling when you are talking so passionately about a subject. It just happens to be that the subject that I can get so passionate about and 'love' is my recovery from alcoholism. It's great because that ultimately keeps me sober 'just for today'.

I guess it's a great feeling knowing that I'm an alcoholic and knowing that everything good that I am getting in my life is due to that absolute knowledge. I know what I musn't do at the very basic level i.e- take the first drink.

What I love so much about my recovery however is that it was/is so much more than that. In fact it ain't about the not drinking, it's about the new way of thinking, the new way of living and the new life that this has opened up.

When I went back into AA and back posting on SR after my binge after 37 days sober then I was willing to listen, willing to do what it took for me to stay sober and had faith that all of the recovering alcoholics knew that the life of recovery is a better one than the life of bullsh*t 'controlled' drinking. It was all or nothing for me. All out drinking or all out recovery.

It has been hard at times on some days. But on the whole it has pretty much been a constant positive upward curve of progress, however perceivably small that may be. At least I haven't made any backwards steps since I got sober.

It's great to be totally comfortable and 'happy' about the path you're on. It's a daily work in progress but it's great to be able to sit in peace and have a great feeling of hope that the future can be bright and positive as opposed to negative and full of regrets and remorse.

Grateful to be a recovering alcoholic.

Peace and Love
Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You know how some people at meetings tend to have little standard "tags" that they use to introduce themselves? I have one friend who always introduces himself as "a work-in-progress recovering alcoholic". I've often considered using a twist on that and introducing myself as a "half-baked recovering alcoholic" but not everyone in the rooms would appreciate the humor.

Truthfully, though, regardless of our progress, there is always new territory to explore.

Thanks for sharing your gratitude. I know my anniversary today has made me reflect on how far I really have come on the inside, even if it isn't always obvious to me. I'm grateful to be free for today.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know the feeling-thanks for this awesome post-I needed this one today. THis was a big help for me to read.

And-its awesome to see how well you are doing.

Keep it up! Your an inspriation.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you touched on most of the promises in your thread, and although my day started off like crap ( so I thought) I got to share in a little of your happiness. That reminded me that all my problems are slight compared to what they used to be. Thanks fot the joy. God Bless
Old 08-29-2010, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another thing I've found in my recovery is how much earlier I get up in the morning. Morning being the apt word! haha.

I remember even if I hadn't had a binge the night before then I wouldn't see the morning. I never used to get up before midday and 1pm was a normal time.

It's great to not feel terribly depressed when I wake up anymore. I like getting up at a reasonable time now as it makes my days off seem longer. It's amazing how I appreciate my days off now. When I was unemployed then there was no gratitude for a day off. Days were merely there to count down to the Friday, Saturday, Sunday binge. Tuesday and Thursday creeped in as a 'bonus' drunk.

Grateful to be a recovering alcoholic.

Peace
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Love your post Neo. This sums up how I feel at this point so well:
However even in those darker days in recovery then I have to make sure that I at least actively remember what it was like to wake up crying and wishing I was dead.
It has been hard at times on some days. But on the whole it has pretty much been a constant positive upward curve of progress, however perceivably small that may be. At least I haven't made any backwards steps since I got sober.
It really made my day to read this, because it warmed my little black heart.
No, seriously: On some days, you are aware that in recovery there are a lot of things that happen on your inside, and you have to do that alone. Like f.e. being aware that at the end of the day, I am the only one responsible for my sobritety. But reading posts like these really make me feel thta no matter what, I'm not alone in this and that there will always be people here that understand. And that just feels really good.
Thanks for that,
and a great sober day to all of you
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

if i may add to this..sunday morn here in uk, always in the past would wake with an excruciating banging head, and my early morns would consist of moping about, and of course pre,empting how to get hold of a drink to ease the awful hangover, and of course continue the sunday bender... no more, haha, now up bright and early looking to head out to a car boot sale..fresh as a daisy, after a full brekky, how so much nicer and civil, to live this way..thanks you guys,have a great sunday..
Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love my sobriety 'cause it makes it possible for me to be fully aware and alert and able to respond to emergencies like my diabetic dog's sugar going too low last night. Being fully aware I was able to recognize his symptoms and treat him before it became a real emergency. That's worth everything to me and makes me value my sobriety more than ever.

Staying sober means I'm fully engaged with the world and able to fully live out my part in it, no matter what comes my way.

Yes, I do truly love my sobriety and wouldn't give it up for anything.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Oh Puuleeese: "Hi I'm Neo and I have something intelligent and uplifting to say." Dude, gimmie a break, great thread after great thread. It is getting a little old Neo...Getting a little old indeed.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love the thread title...whenever I see it it makes me smile, because I love my recovery too:-) painted 6 studies this weekend and looking forward to the holiday weekend when I will have 4 days to paint in a row:-) two months ago I would have had no energy to paint because I would be drinking!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post, Neo! This really sums up a lot of things I want to say and yet, with my newfound powers of concentration since becoming sober (fancy that!), I haven't had the _time_ to put down concisely and express (because I am so pre-occupied with taking care of the business I left to fester and rot whilst I was out drinking 24/7/365[6 on leap years!]). So thanks for that! Great to hear from you always. This post is all money, as usual.

Have a great Monday!

Cheers.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for a great post Neo!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Hi, my name is ninja7 and I am alcoholic!
Great post! Thank you very much for this positive effect of sobriety!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for these postive words and vibes which are infectious :-)
I can definitely relate to what you're saying - especially about the mornings!! My husband was only staying at the weekend how much I've changed as regards getting up early in the mornings at the weekend and on holidays! You really get the most out of the day and indeed the days feel longer :-)!

Thanks for motivating the rest of us and I'm sending some peace and love your way :-)

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Neo, I have to say again how proud I am of you. In my 20's I could never have seen the light the way you have. I remember your posts when you were missing a certain aspect of your life, and I was doubtful as to whether you would stay the course. When you faltered, I shared your pain & disillusionment.

Now look at you - filled with acceptance, enthusiasm & joy. You're still evolving into the person you were meant to be, without the poison holding you down. Thanks for a great thread - with some wonderful responses, too. Another keeper.