Notices

Non AA sobriety success

Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

3 years ago today I had my last drink of alcohol, don't even remember taking the first drink that day. I have maintained my sobriety and feel that I have recovered from the hold alcohol had on me without any formal program. I went to a couple of AA meetings but they weren't for me; I did not feel that my "life was out of control" only my drinking was out of control; and the "one day at a time" was not for me either because to me that said "I won't drink today but maybe I will tomorrow". I made a vow to myself to never ever drink again not 1 sip ever--and I'm sticking to that plan. My recovery has been primarily faith based even though I've not been a church going person for the past 30 yrs, the first year of sobriety I read the bible cover to cover, and although a lot of it was way beyond my comprehension what did get through to me changed my life and continues to be my guide. I also read AA literature and modified a couple of the steps and practiced them. I am fortunate that I have absolutely no desire for alchohol, the smell and often just the thought makes my stomach quesy...I think this is at least partially because I wound up in the hospital 3 yrs ago --after that last drink I overdosed on prescription drugs and was unconscious for 36 hours and the drugs burned a hole in my liver--while in the hospital for a week I had to drink 17 doses of mucamyst to repair my liver and mucamyst is the most gawd awful smelling/tasting cr*p in the world-it smells like rotten eggs times 1000! So when I smell or think of alchol I remember that cr*ppy smell-I never would have overdosed had I not been drunk.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on the three years!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Wow! Congrats on being alive!

In a way, your experience with mucamyst kind of mirrors what I was talking about with the Limbic system...in your mind alcohol=pain, therefore no temptation to drink:-)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Judy, congrats on 3 years! You're an inspiration.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I googled "One day at a time" origin and this is all I could come up with. No date on just when this prayer or who was the author.

God grant me the SERENITY to
accept the things I cannot change;
COURAGE to change the things I can;
and WISDOM to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it:

Trusting that He will make all things
right if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen

Harry
Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Although I am a member in AA, even the Big Book tells me that AA does not have a monopoly for recovery.

AA is what is working for me. I do know other people who have some long term sobriety using other ways to recovery. I knew of one man, a personal friend, who died with something like 32 years sobriety and only went to church on Sundays. He lived a very happy life with his family once he did get sober. Was always willing to help people and just did the right thing. Lived his life as a good man.

Not sure, but I think some of it might of had to do with his wife threatening to leave him for good and take the 3 children with her, if he didn't stop his drinking.

I do know that he loved his family very much and was willing to do anything for them.

I respect other's ways of recovery and I respect them just as well.

Harry
Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congratulations Judy on 3 year, that is amazing! I keep thinking how awful I felt on the day I decided to Stop drinking, I felt terrible through drinking and not eating the day before, my worst Hangover ever. I remind myself of that and it makes me want to not ever drink again!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good idea for a thread SH - thanks.

My own programme is not always easy, but it's pretty simple
  • don't drink
  • do whatever you have to do to not drink
  • do whatever you have to do to deal with the underlying reasons that drove you and drink together in the first place
  • help as many other folks as you can along the way, and reach out for help when you need it;
    and perhaps most importantly
  • always strive to be grateful and happy & be the best you you can be.

D
This is pretty much my own program as well. I'm just living my life, dealing with normal issues and pressures of being a mom, wife, and friend. I can't just take a vacation from that. All that is what makes me, me. I'm just doing it sober now. It wasn't easy, and still isn't easy, but I seem to be doing something right so far. LOL Each day is another blessed day I have to make every moment count.
I think everyone on this site is doing a great job at working through each day. Keep it up!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My dad has been sober for 26 years and the only program he used was also going to church and the love of my mom. He quit smoking cigarettes (he was a 3 pack a day smoker) the same day he quit drinking cause he was in the hospital and they said "quit smoking and drinking or you'll be dead in a year"; he chose life.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
He quit smoking cigarettes (he was a 3 pack a day smoker) the same day he quit drinking cause he was in the hospital and they said "quit smoking and drinking or you'll be dead in a year"; he chose life.
I didn't have anyone in a hospital tell me this, but I knew it in my gut. It makes me happy to see that he's enjoying a long and sober life:-)
Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I didn't have anyone in a hospital tell me this, but I knew it in my gut. It makes me happy to see that he's enjoying a long and sober life:-)
He'll be 88 in November and was told and believed he'd be dead at 61, he's my hero and my biggest supporter.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Wow! Congrats on being alive!

In a way, your experience with mucamyst kind of mirrors what I was talking about with the Limbic system...in your mind alcohol=pain, therefore no temptation to drink:-)
That is so true. I am repulsed by alchol aka pain; and I also fear alcohol because the many things I did while drunk now I find totally disgusting/immoral/stupid
Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations son your 3 years jamdls

D
Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations son your 3 years jamdls

D
Thank you to all, my daughter just told me she is going to let me take care of my 4 1/2 yr old grandson ALL DAY on Friday!!!! AND I get to take him in my car! This is a FIRST! I've spent lots of time with them over the past 3 yrs but she's never let me take him in the car and even when I would babysit his 16 yr old half-sister was always there and my duaghter only be gone 2-3 hours. I guess she finally trusts me!!! Sobriety ROCKS!