Notices

now I am feeling things...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

We are a mess of emotions when we get sober. Sometimes it is worse for some.

Have you heard of P.A.W.S. (Post–acute withdrawal syndrome)?

If not, do a search on this site for some information on it. It should be in a sticky at the top. It is very good information and helped me a lot.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Someone once told me that the early days after quitting are like suffering a bereavement. All of a sudden your companion Alcohol is no longer around any more, and its scary to imagine that you won't see them again. For me I'm actively trying to stop 'personifying' alcohol like that, but its going to take awhile.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why its so important to take it one day at a time, especially in the early stages.
I did have this unexplicable feeling of loss. I was not sure what it was but I felt lost...and like I lost part of me. I have spent the last 13 days finding myself again. I spent a long time trying to lose myself for no good reason.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jabbadabutt View Post
I did have this unexplicable feeling of loss. I was not sure what it was but I felt lost...and like I lost part of me. I have spent the last 13 days finding myself again. I spent a long time trying to lose myself for no good reason.
I'm finding it desperately hard at the minute to be honest, even though I'm not craving a drink.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am just plain extremely anxious today...I am not craving a drink either. But maybe it does have something to do with the fact that I have truely decided no more alcohol. And it was my place to go when all was just too much. Now its gone. I guess its time to grow up for me...face the stuff I always hid from in the past. And I ain't no spring chicken either! lol
Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

And maybe some withdrawl symptoms too..I need to read that link.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FindingDawn

Feeling depressed and anxious is common to most of us I think...we've just lost a major part of our lives - there's both physical and emotional ramifications to that which, whether we like it or not, simply take time to get through.

It goes without saying tho, that if you feel especially concerned, you should see your doctor or counsellor. It may also be of benefit to you to talk over with them some of the treatments others have tried here.

Personally I don't know that PAWs would apply yet...not everyone gets it, and it seems a little early in the process for me, but I'm not a Dr LOL...and the link is a good one I think:

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

As for those two glasses...I think guilt is a fairly useless emotion...I think it's far more important to realise that every time you drink you put yourself right back in the very cycle you're trying to escape from.

Don't look backward, FindingDawn - keep moving forward

D