Notices

now I am feeling things...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

now I am feeling things...

I haven't been drunk for 11 days (though I did have 2 drinks on Thursday) I find that I feel depressed...which isn't I guess uncommon for me. I think that may be why I really drank in the first place. So now I have to decide or figure out how to start being happy again..I have always wanted to do work in a service field, originally wanted to like so many others here, lol, to be a psychologist! I have thought about doing some volunteer work on the side while I am looking for a part time job.

My kids go back to school on Wednesday. I have on with special needs which has always kept me busy, and anxious...But I feel like I need a new perspective, a new focus in my life. I have started to meditat again and I read allot. May I ask if any of you felt very down and anxious in general after quiting drinking??? I mean not anxious becuase I crave a drink but just like I don't know what to do with myself.

Thank you all, I love the people here, they are so kind and supportive!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are not alone in your feelings. I too have those same feelings. The anxiety and tension that I think I feel are my symptoms of w/d and recovery that can last for quite some time as my body re-learns to cope with life without chemicals. Hang in there. You can do this - the 'stickey' moments DO pass!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! Confused from your post...you quitting or not? Good luck with whatever you decide. A lot of different feeling are normal early. Meditating and reading are great choices if you decide to quit. You need to find things to replace the drinking. Keep us posted.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am quitting..I think the 2 night drink thing was a way I tested myself in some ways. Can I quit if I have a couple of drinks? Well i did quit and it wasn't hard that night, but it could be very hard on other nights. I want to quit completely. Just don't want to have alcohol in my life anymore.

I think for me I always felt in the back of my mind, if things get too overwhelming for me I will just have a few drinks and it forget about it..that is no longer an option. So now I have to replace that with healthy coping. And I have to figure out how to do that..

I would like to get some counseling but cannot afford it right now..So just looking for suggestions from anyone who may have felt similar things.

Thank you both..
I am checking out the mental health posts and anxiety ones too right now I think for me these things overlap somehow, alcohol, anxiety, depression...ugly circle..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the same feelings of anxiety, although today is a better day than the past few. I'm sure those depressed feelings will pass with time, if you stay on track and think positively. You can do this and keep coming here!!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The first few days after quitting drinking are h3ll emotionally...been there, done that. But you'll start feeling better before you know it. Now is the time to take really good care of yourself - pamper yourself however you can (ice cream is especially helpful!) Drink plenty of water, get a massage if you can afford it, get plenty of sleep, just take good care of yourself while you're detoxing from the sauce. You'll feel better soon, I promise.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yep!!! Just wrote a post about that. Read it. Alcohol makes you depressed and I found that stopping the drinking made me even more depressed and anxious. Hang in there and go see your Doc. They can help you get through this. Congrats on your sobriety and remember...alcoholics cannot just have 1 or 2 drinks. We need to make a commitment to ourselves to stop forever.

I wish you the best! xoxo

Happy Camper
Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is so true, alcohol makes me so much more depressed!!! I have noticed the depressed part getting worse and worse. I have tried some meds for depression in the past, but haven't had allot of luck. I may need to try another, I know there are many out there. I would like a natural way though. Thank you all
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Personally I wouldn't worry about those two drinks. Alcohol made me depressed to the point where I would lie in my bed under the covers and feel like there was a hole inside eating me alive. I have not felt that way in the 6 weeks I have been sober...I did have one mild anxiety attack, but I used some dissassociation techniques I have been learning to deal with it and felt better soon.

I think you are on the right track with the meditation. Maybe go to your library and see about checking out some books about the power of positive thinking...I have found that helpful...even in my drinking days:-)
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree FindingDawn....

I tried to do it the natural way too, but it didn't work for me. I realize that everyone and every situation is different. I wish you the best of luck trying to do it the natural way, but I hope you can at least keep your options open to other alternatives. Natural is the best, but sometimes we may need more than that...and I have come to realize "it is o.k."

Keep on keeping on!!! Wishing you a healthy sober day
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You should try and see a doctor about depression. You might ask him about St Johns Sort...it is an herb that has been used in treating depression with some success in Europe...it can be purchased over the counter.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LaFemme, you know I do feel guilty for those 2 drinks...I know I should just let it go. But I feel like I let myself down. Didn't stick to my word. I think you picked up on my guilt! lol!

I am releasing the guilt, I did stop at least...And I am gonna try the St John's wort, I have heard about it too. The side effects from the lexapro I tried recently were not good. I tried at least 3 others too and all had very strange side effects for me. I too sat under the covers and felt incredible huge amounts of anxiety and the self loathing after a night of drinking. It hasn't been like that since I stopped drinking either, but I still just feel very restless. I will also check out some positive thinking resources...

And I am not at all anti depression drugs...just haven't found one, that for me I tolerated well....But I will keep it in the back of my mind. There may be one out there yet for me..Gonna try the natural route first. 5 htp is another one to try for anxiety for anyone suffering. I'm gonna start it today..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think you should pat yourself on the back. You had a slip and got right back into sobriety, you didn't turn it into a relapse. Remember, string, add those sober days up and be proud of yourself and the hard work you are doing.
It sounds like you are reading, meditating and trying alternative methods to deal with the depression. Good for you. I suffer from depression and after all the booze was out of my system my doctor found meds to alleviate my darkness. But I practice meditation and yoga for the anxiety because I can never take mind altering chemicals like valium ever again.
Be proud!
SH
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Stanley! You made me smile and a little tear trickled down too! I was prescibed valium too in the past...don't want to take that route either. Too afraid I'll get addicted..I have been looking for a good yoga class. I have some tapes to start out with. Gonna give them ago once my 2 kids start back to school on Wednesday...I love them to death. But right now I really need some solitude too. I am from Ohio too!

Your words meant allot to me...thank you.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

FindingDawn, the best way to describe how I felt in the first couple weeks of sobriety is that I walked around feeling like I had my finger in an electrical outlet. Very much crawling out of my skin, walking in circles trying to find out what to do with myself, and full of anxiety. I had nervous energy, but not the kind of energy I could use to clean out a closet or anything like that lol. I've become more or less "back to normal" and I am on anti anxiety and anti depression meds. Hope you find the help you need, and high five on the kids getting back to school. My kids start Sept 7th. CANT WAIT
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

drinking exacerbated my depression which made me feel i needed to drink more...it was a nasty circle for me.

(its St.Johns Wort)...in the past I did not react well to several different anti-depressants prescribed for me, the side effects were almost as bad as the depression...however, exercise helps me tremendously and i take 800-12oomg. of SAM-e every day spaced out with my supplements.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My solution to the depression when I quit drinking was chocolate, and it worked for me. Now I'm not advising people to pig out on chocolate like I did but I think one of the best things people can do for themselves in recovery is to reward themself, whether that reward is a massage/facial/manicure/yoga/chocolate/etc.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been eating more too...lol It feels like nervous eating, tying not to over do it too bad! For me its crunchy things like crackers and chips! omg No where near the guilt I had after a night of drinking and smoking like a chimney though.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Someone once told me that the early days after quitting are like suffering a bereavement. All of a sudden your companion Alcohol is no longer around any more, and its scary to imagine that you won't see them again. For me I'm actively trying to stop 'personifying' alcohol like that, but its going to take awhile.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why its so important to take it one day at a time, especially in the early stages.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are welcome, Findingdawn. Anytime you want to chat just send me a message. My son goes to middle school tomorrow and I will be like many of you, starting over in a new place. I moved before the summer and had tons of things to do and my son to keep me busy, so now I have to get busy finding new volunteer activities and new tennis leagues. Those are the two things I love to do so I better get crackin.
SH