Notices

Truly Happy

Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Truly Happy

Today I am at 230 days sober and cannot believe how happy I truly am now. The other day I posted a thread on how to socialize better now that I am sober. Lastnight I had an opportunity to test that our. For the first time in my life, I no longer care what "other people" are doing, and what is popular etc. Lastnight I was me-the real deal. And I was really happy to be presenting the person I am, not masked or amped up by some other substance.

I think a big part of my sobriety has been about realizing that what other people do is inconsequential to my actions. Other people can drink, good for them. I cant-and I am good with that and no longer want it.

For the first time in my life I am stopping to smell the roses so to say. I notice all the good things in life that I would have otherwise have missed. I am taking more advantage of all the opportunities around me. I listed to what others have to say.

I believe that I have made it through another part of accepting where I am in recovery because I no longer feel like my actions need to be in line with what others around me are doing. I no longer make the distinction between "them" and "me". I am just happy doing my thing, and working on the steps each day.

Life is great
Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Awesome HIgby. I am glad it went so well. Sounds like an enlightening experience for you. It really does. I think your post will help others that will face those situations. Nice new Avatar too. That you?

Congrats on your sobriety. You are inspiring.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. When I was 18, I started line dancing. When I was 21, drinking and dancing started going hand in hand. Once I quit drinking, I was really concerned about my ability to go to the country bar and still dance, without being tempted to drink. But, I made myself do it. And it was the most awesome thing I can remember experiencing in a long time. Not only that, but I was able to sit there and watch all these drunk, obnoxious girls, and know that I was not acting like that. Before, perhaps I was usually heading in that direction, more and more with each shot. But not anymore. I feel so lucky to have something that I am so passionate about that it is able to outweigh my drinking addiction and career. Without that, the SR community, and the friends that I have come to make in AA, I know that I would not be able to say that I have been sober since 7/11/2010.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post...thanks! I have my first big sober social event tonight and hearing that gives me a big boost of confidence!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Awesome HIgby. I am glad it went so well. Sounds like an enlightening experience for you. It really does. I think your post will help others that will face those situations. Nice new Avatar too. That you?

Congrats on your sobriety. You are inspiring.
Thanks man! Nah not me in the avatar-I would not be as graceful but I have done hills like that. I love to ski!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Great post...thanks! I have my first big sober social event tonight and hearing that gives me a big boost of confidence!
Hey I wont even say best of luck at your event tonight becuase I know your going to be fine and its going to be an awesome time! Have a blast and enjoy that feeling on your way home because you will feel: Thankful, happy, proud, and motivated for all that is to come.

Enjoy!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're so happy in your sobriety, HIgby. It's taken me a bit longer than you, but I'm getting there in terms of not seeing sobriety as a negative punishment.

With the help of the nice folks here at SR, I think I've gotten a new lease on my sobriety. If I keep moving forward, I might even be able make my three year anniversary at the end of this year.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your solid progress and good news with us!