Notices

not real pure but ready to quit

Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Grrr - I stumbled after Day 5. I own it. I am starting again. Day 1 here. You will find what works for you. I encourage you to keep posting and supporting yourself via whatever avenues you feel safe with.

Since you have other medications involved, I agree with the others that consulting with your doctor would be a very good idea. No shame in it.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Grr! This is a great place to start! Today is another day 1 for me..I Feel your pain.

Xo
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi grrr well done on wanting to quit, one thing I will suggest is see the doctor and discuss it. It can be very dangerous to quit cold turkey which is what I did. It can cause convulsions and the risk of a stroke or heart attack is high if you go cold turkey, so I would seriously suggest seeing a doctor to guide you through it. I wish you much luck and you will get through it.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just wanted to drop a note of support for you. I'm just starting day 6 first time I have tried to quit. I'll echo the doctor thing - if you're like me and don't want to be completely honest with your doc about how much you have been drinking, find a new one - I think it is important for them to know the real deal.

Every relationship is different, but I told my wife that I had decided to eliminate alcohol from my life. She probably would have figured it out when I poured the two rum bottles down the kitchen drain anyway She has been very helpful and supportive, but perhaps a little too eager to try to downplay the size of my problem. Your new on-line friends will help, but I know for me having a real person to talk to is very valuable. You will have a lot of people recommend AA for this reason. I have not decided if I will go to a meeting, but there is one tonight I am considering.

Finally, I'll tell you the worrying about withdrawl symptoms has been worse than the physical effects for me. Try not to dwell on the "what if's" and stay in the now. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Grrr!
You are not alone here at all.. we are all battling the same things. The support I found here is incredible, and I've only been here a week. Didn't even lurk.. just posted and here I am... 7 days later still sober I didn't think I was ready to quit either, I thought I'd look into it, or just give it another day to think about.. Really wasn't ready to just give it all up yet.

But then I started thinking.. "Each morning I wake up, I don't know who I am. My husband is unhappy with me, and I'm pretty sure no matter how much I fake it I know my kids know something is wrong with me... they're not stupid. I always have bruises, I even got a scuff on the whole right side of my new car. (my DH sat outside for 30 minutes rubbing it off for me while I was passed out drunk) I can't afford the ER visits from my drunkin falls that had me in so much pain I was sure I had broken something. Ultrasounds, xrays.. etc. I can't live like this anymore". So I came here. I was amazed by how much support everyone was getting. This is something I needed.

So I posted, read posts and just began my day 1, simple. The first day was good. Second day not so much but I came here and posted, got support and made it through. Third day worse, came here and posted again. I stayed sober all through the worst times those days. It was awesome! By the 4th and 5th days I was doing better on my own but still came here. It really helps so much.

We all understand what you're dealing with and going through (maybe not exactly but to an extent) and you can do it! I never thought I could but I'm doing it!
Whenever you're ready please come here and keep posting! Keep your chin up!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I've been struggling for a few years and have made some in-earnest attempts to quit lately, the longest duration being 20 days. I have used the low blood sugar excuse also, but being passed out drunk or slurring or staggering while reeking of booze blew my cover. I have lied many times. I find this forum very helpful and it's comforting to know I'm not alone. I wish you the best.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi. I've also tried to stop alot of times too. I used to drink every day, but then about a year ago I slowed down. No I drink once or twice a month but I binge drink. My last drink was sunday, I got wasted at a family event and dont remember leaving.This site seems like a great place to start.