Notices

Just Wanted to Tell You

Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Talking Just Wanted to Tell You

Good morning everybody! Today is a wonderful day for me, so I thought I'd share to maybe give encouragement to anyone who needs it.
Today is my 16th day sober. Last night was my little sisters bachelorette party, and I hosted for the first couple hours. There were jello shots and pudding shots, different flavored vodkas, gin, rum, beer and wine. I was keeping myself busy playing host, and anyone who asked if I was drinking, I simply told them that I hadnt started yet because I was running around. Well then the limo showed up and the pressure was on. So I poured a red bull into a glass and said it had vodka in it. I wasnt going to give these 25 girls an explanation of how I quit drinking on my sisters special night, so I fooled them all, all night. When we got to the bar, the bartender handed me the can, but I asked for it in a glass with ice, and noone knew any better, and I was able to stay sober, in a very very challenging environment and situation. My sister is throwing up today, all my cousins are nauseaus, and I feel great and am so happy. And the best part about it, is that I actually remember everything that happened! Which hasnt happened in years! So I guess I just want to send encouragement to everyone out there facing a social situation that they are dreading because it is surrounded by alcohol. The wedding is in 2 weeks, and will be my next big hurdle. Wish me luck y'all!!

Oh, and by the way, I could have NEVER made it through last night without this forum. So thanks so much to all of you, for sharing your stories and advice. This is the most wonderful place to find genuine support, from such a caring community!!

Last edited by julez; 08-15-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I especially like the part where you say; "And the best part about it, is that I actually remember everything that happened!" I remember saying those same words when I went to a Rod Stewart concert shortly after getting sober. Probably the first concert I had ever gone to and didn't have to have people telling me what happend.

Early in recovery I was uncomfortable when I went to things like family affairs and what not and alcohol was going to be around. I was fortunate that there were people who knew that I was getting sober and they were there to support me.

Good luck at the wedding. I'm can't help thinking though that maybe you can tell someone you trust, that will be there and can support you. It could be a little tough to do it on your own.

Hope you have a good time though, that is what we can still do after we get sober, have fun, laughs and a good time, even without alcohol.

Harry
Old 08-15-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good that you made it through, Julez, but I also agree with Harry that it's a little risky without some backup.

Surely you've got a person or two you can confide in.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Oh yes, my husband and my sister know that I've quit. I just didnt want to tell all her friends, and our cousins that I don't see often. Too much of a conversation to have in the chaos. I feel really happy to have refrained last night. And at the wedding my kids will be there, so that is even more incentive to not drink. I'm just taking one day at a time, and so far, each day has been brighter than the next.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is awesome Julez!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good--that should make it easier.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job. Now you are going to make them all EXTRA sick while they can't seem to figure out why you are all happy and full of energy today and they are puking. haha.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed the course Julez - well done
D
Old 08-15-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job Julez!! I really am getting accustomed to waking up and feeling great and remembering the night before as well!

I did Disneyland, California Adventure, and Universal Studios with my wife and son this weekend, and normally I would have been either loaded during it, sneaking and trying find booze during it, and not remembering any of it. Instead I didn't mind standing in long lines, not hungover, and just enjoying the people watching and then remembering everything afterwards.

Believe it or not it made the trip to the parks alot easier, and alot of fun!

As far as the upcoming wedding you will be attending, I have been the Best Man in 2 weddings, one for a good friend of mine, and the other for my brother. I was drinking for my best friends, and I made a complete ass out of myself at the rehersal dinner with a toast that was just so inappropriate and so long, that I didn't even give one at the wedding. At my brothers wedding I was sober, (court ordered), and I gave a toast that came off so nice and eloquent people who were at the wedding 8 years ago still comment to me about it today! Of course people still comment on the drunken toast I did 20 years ago, but the reviews weren't as favorable! Nothing like hearing, "man, remember when you got drunk at Matt's rehearsal dinner and had that toast where you slurred for 15 minutes and insulted the brides father and talked about the strip club you just came from, and how the groom was so ugly he could never do any better so he was lucky she agreed to marry such a fat drunken slob....she must be pregnant?" Hearing that never gets old.!! Oh yeah, and she was pregnant!

I thought I was Don Rickles or something.....but the audience was pretty cold! I think I tapped on the microphone after the toast and asked "Is this thing on? I'll be here all week".

Add another one to the list...Don't do public speaking while drunk!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job, Julez...I'm happy for you and join you in being happy to be sober today. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Supercrew, I LOL'd at your stories! Gotta love the weddings where everyone is dressed so nicely, and its a classy affair, and then here comes us drunks to make a spectacle of ourselves. I tend to swear like a sailor, which is NOT ladylike while dressed up, and part of the bridal party... I'll leave the story at that!!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Julez sounds like you have a plan for the wedding and all should go well, and personally, I think that's a good thing.

Always good to read about the good as well as the bad.

People who need people are the luckiest people.

Harry
Old 08-15-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome Julez!! You are a very creative woman... good strategy for staying sober... and not having to make enormous explanations. So nice of you not to "steal the thunder" from your sister's big event too. You are so sweet girl... I want to congratulate you on making it through the party, and wish you much strength on the wedding.
Lori