Notices

So Tired!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Tired!

I am 13 days sober and I can't get over how tired I feel! I was at a bottle of wine a day for a VERY Long time. My habit was to start at 5:00 while making dinner and continue until I fell asleep. I kept a very active, high stress life. 3 kids and full time work. I've been drinking heavily for many years, so I'm sure my liver is in overdrive trying to repair itself, but I thought I would feel better by now. Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Yeah, I remember being really tired my first few weeks without a drink. I suppose your liver probably is working overtime; lots of repairs to make. I found this thread in the Alcoholism forum, which led me to check out the book from the library:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

There's a lot of stuff in there about how the body deals with drinking, and what happens to the body after you stop. I found it very helpful my first couple months in recovery.

Also, do you notice that you get tired at roughly the same time every day, or is it a constant sort of lethargy? Just wondering.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link. It's pretty much a constant state that I have to push through.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you talked to your dr?

It's always a good idea to get checked out by your dr before you begin recovery.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just wanted to sympathize with your tiredness. I've been sober for 2 weeks now and am still feeling very tired. Your life sounds similar to mine. I would also second Anna's suggestion about visiting your doctor. Congrats on your 13 days!!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't seen a doctor in over 5 years. Very foolish. I actually just put it on my to do list for tomorrow! Thanks...
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on the sober time! Glad you're going to see a Dr. I was tired for quite a while too. Getting vitamins and eating well can help. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dontwant2Bdad!
Tiredness is very common in early recovery but still - good call with the doctor thing

D
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This website is pretty amazing. I actually made a Dr appointment today. Like I said, I havn't done that in over 5 years. Since I am therefore a new patient, I will have to wait 3 weeks, but that gives me even more incentive to stay sober. Today is day 14. Thank you all very much. God Bless...
Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gratz on your 14 days!! I'm glad you posted this. On day 7 and still tired. I will actually have short bursts of energy but after minimal activity, its nap time again! I went out and bought running shoes expecting this to pass and then went home to take a nap because I was too tired to use them. LOL One day, hopefully soon, we will be fine.
Good luck at your doctor appointment. Please don't be shy about being brutally honest with your doc. Maybe you could call them back and tell them your intentions over the phone? It might help get you in quicker. People often jump at the chance to help people trying to get sober because its a time/numbers game.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you have to wait 3 weeks. That's bizarre to me living where I live.

D
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Three weeks is a long wait! It's usually quite a wait here too. When we first moved here there were no doctors taking patients so we were doctorless for abt. six months. I kept calling and finally got in as a patient, but the doctor had to meet me first and approve me as a patient! Congrats on 14 days and hope you are feeling less tired...