Notices

Hi. I'm new.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery ByTheSea. There is a lot of help here with very caring people. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, good chance you do. Give your self a chance to get a clear head and to feel better. Read some of the posts here and as someone else has mentioned, check out some of other stuff to read about alcoholism. I don't know if you are an alcoholic, only you can decide that. If you want to read a little bit about Alcoholism and you don't have an AA Big Book (without doubt you don't) try this link and read a little...Big Book On Line. Just a suggestion. But when you do read some of the others posts, I found it good, when I first started getting sober, was to try to identify and relate to what they share, I found relating to their feelings very, very helpful.

I know for me comparing things like, I never went to jail, I was never evicted, I never did this or that, only supplied me with an excuse to drink again, and then some of those things did happen to me. But identifying in ways of, Ya I feel like that and yes I can relate to doing things of that nature, helped me to realize that, maybe I am an alcoholic too.

Today I don't have a problem admitting it, to me it isn't what I'm labled, just the truth of what I am, an alcoholic. When I say, "my name is Harry and I am an alcoholic," doesn't mean I'm not a human being, I've always been that, even before I became an alcoholic.

So welcome again. Hang in there and keep coming.

Harry
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Water definitely does the best job of removing toxins from the system. But you are right about anything is better than alcohol:-) I am trying to invent some interesting non-alcoholic beverages right now...if I come up with one I will let you know:-)

I'm like Harry, in that I never had a DUI, lost a job or got evicted because of my drinking, but I should of. In a way my drinking was a cry for help, one day I realized that I had to help myself:-)

Happy Day 4...the worst of the Detox should be behind you, I think!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you LaFemme and Harry. I'm definitely looking around the forums as well as elsewhere for guidance... I'm like a sponge right now, any info about how best to stay sober I will soak up since I really have no idea about this Like both of you I never lost a job, got a DUI, or had any other major life consequences from my drinking, but I did realize it was damaging my relationship with my husband, which is a big reason I stopped. We fought a lot more when I drank because I would lose my temper and be totally unreasonable about things. Avoiding that is good motivation...

Day 5! We went out to dinner tonight, which was a new one for me since i've stopped drinking. I used to leave work early when we did that and have a drink at the bar before dinner. Instead, this time I left work early and walked to the restaurant -- a 45 minute walk from where I work in midtown Manhattan, so I was sweaty when I got there, but it was a nice workout and a much healthier way to kill time than drinking

I do think the worst of the physical symptoms have passed, which is also good.

-- SBTS