Notices

Haven't logged on here since early March

Old 07-17-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Haven't logged on here since early March

I had to step away from this forum for awhile to deal with things. But I am happy to report that I am in a totally different place now. I haven't had a drink since May 28th, 2010!!! It took a lot to get to where I am now. I go to church every Sunday, got involved in a women's bible study, went to the doctor and found out I may suffer from depression, which explains why I drank so much. It's like a light bulb has come on for me! I dont' have urges to drink anymore. I think because I live with someone - my boyfriend who is clearly an alcoholic but yet does not drink every day. He only drinks once a month or at most every two weeks which is big decrease for him. I anxious for him to quit completely. I know he is not ready. It hurts to see how much it affects him though. It has a hold on him even though he can go weeks with out drinking. I've tried to encourage him to get help. We've set rules that he is not drink in our home because of how it affects me. He goes out with friends to drink one or two and it always ends up being more, thankfully he stays where ever he is at so there is not a worry of the drinking and driving as much. I have been reading things online and realize I have probably driven him to drink.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I don't think you can drive someone to drink, but relationships often cause us to question ourselves and to examine ourselves. Hopefully your boyfriend will decide to seek help for himself, but right now I am so glad that you are sober and working on your recovery. It sounds like you have made positive changes in your life. Good for you!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Based on my experience, noone else can ever drive someone to drink, Freespirit.
I hope your bf will decide to seek help - but it will have to be when he's ready himself, I think.

I'm glad things are going better for you personally
Old 07-17-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Freespirit,

We've been sober about the same length of time. I'm happy to hear your in a better place. How's it going with the depression? I'm having a time with it right now myself. I hope your sobriety brings you peace and happiness. I know I'm seeing things differently now that I stopped drinking. Not an easy road but better than the drunken road. Oh, and don't blame yourself for your bf"s drinking. You know in your heart he's responsible for his own behavior.

Best wishes to you on your journey.

:ghug3
Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Freespirit Congratulations on your sobriety. It's good to have you back.