Notices

Making changes

Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making changes

At the AA meetings that I have been going to, they keep saying not to make any major changes for the first year of sobriety. Well, for the past few months I have been thinking about dying my hair (its blonde w brown lo lites and i wanna go all dark red/cherry). I wanted to do this way before I stopped drinking and I still want to do it, even though I have only been sober for 4 days. Does that count as a major change that I should stay away from?

Thanks!

Kristin
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure that's a major change. I say go for it, the more red headed alcoholics the better. FYI: My opinion is slightly biased.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah, I think that sounds like a wonderful, positive, change. I would be shocked if anybody, even in your AA group, would think that would be a major change.

Isn't it fun to think of the little things we can do for ourselves now? I dyed my hair too a nice dark brown!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the idea of the 'no major changes' idea is to try avoid the stress from major upheavals, cos it could trigger some people...

I think the other reason is that we can want a new start so much we feel tempted to change our lives completely...new city, new job, new partner...and those kind of changes are best made when we've settled down a little, and know who the sober us is.

I can't see a hair colour change will do much harm, Kristin....although after reading other threads today - make sure it's exactly what you want!

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-14-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well I changed my hair colour at day 5 of being sober, it's day 28 now and I am still sober, so I guess it did not made me try to drink. I changed from dark brown to red/blond